logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Reverse proxy/terminology clarification question....
Author
cwbuege

PostPosted: Fri 13 Dec '13 0:03    Post subject: Reverse proxy/terminology clarification question.... Reply with quote

Everyone -

This is a request for education on proper terminology and I hope I'm asking this in the right place. If I'm not, please feel free to point me in the right direction.

I've been working with the Apache server (primary under CentOS, but some under Red Hat and on XAMPP stacks as well) and have been tasked with a project.

Periodically, we need to have our web sites down for maintenane - updates, backups, etc. What I've been told to do is find a way to have a 'front end' to our web sites so that, when they are down for maintenance, that then end-users will receive a message 'This site is down for maintenance till XX:XX AM/PM' or such.

Here are my questions:
- What would you call what I am trying to setup? The reading I've done implies that what I really want to setup is a reverse proxy server. Is that what I want to do?
- If it isn't a reverse proxy I want to set up, what do I want to setup?
- Of the different types of solutions available, I've been tasked to spend as little money as possible (some surprise, huh?) so I'd want to do this via open source solutions. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations for what I could use for this? I've read about using Nginx in front of Apache, I've heard of Squid, I've heard about Tomcat, but as I said I'm still pretty new to this and am more than willing to take any suggestions that anyone wants to send me.
- Is this a type of 'clustering/high availabity' project I'm really looking at here? I've been hearing those terms thrown about as well.
- If anyone has any suggestions for where I can go from here to learn more about the proper terminology so I don't sound like a complete noob (even though in this case, I kinda am), I'll take that direction too.

In case it makes any kind of a difference, the Apache instances are pretty simple - PHP, MySQL and that's about it - not very involved (for now). I'm hoping that I can learn what/how to do this correctly and, when I'm ready to add more capabilities, that I'll be able to extrapolate out from there what I'd need to do.

Thanks to any direction I can get from anyone!!

Charles
Steffen

PostPosted: Fri 13 Dec '13 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start to read http://www.apachetutor.org/admin/reverseproxies
James Blond

PostPosted: Fri 13 Dec '13 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use a loadbalancer if not reverse proxy with cache.

Reply to topic   Topic: Reverse proxy/terminology clarification question.... View previous topic :: View next topic