logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> News & Hangout View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Internet Routing Violates Privacy
Author
jcobban

PostPosted: Tue 07 Nov '17 21:37    Post subject: Internet Routing Violates Privacy Reply with quote

I am having a problem with my current Internet provider, which is why it is shortly to become my former Internet provider.

I observed extremely unpredictable response times and frequent disconnects when accessing my business web-site, which is hosted in a major city only 250 miles away. When I did the traceroute I found that for no obvious reason the packets were being routed across the international border between Canada and the US, even though both I and the web-site are located in the same country. The bad response time was because the route was pushing the time to live (TTL) value in the packet header.

But more serious is that routing traffic across the international border guarantees that a copy of my traffic is delivered to the US National Security Agency and the Canadian Communication Security Establishment, two of the "Five Eyes". If the traffic had not been routed across the border the federal authorities would have needed a court order to intercept the traffic.

I complained about this routing both to the Internet provider and the federal privacy commissioner but the Internet provider simply did not respond and the privacy commissioner reported that when this issue has been raised in the past the Internet providers, as a group, just whine "its too hard!".

Strangely I cannot find anywhere on the web where this privacy concern is discussed.

Reply to topic   Topic: Internet Routing Violates Privacy View previous topic :: View next topic