logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Problem getting subdomain to accurately reflect file hierarc
Author
banja

PostPosted: Wed 28 May '14 20:37    Post subject: Problem getting subdomain to accurately reflect file hierarc Reply with quote

Aloha,

I am very new to running my own server, so please be gentle and very concrete in your advice. I really enjoy learning and appreciate your help.
--
Apache version 2.4.7
Ubuntu Linux 14.04
BIND version 9.9.5
MySQL version 5.5.37
OpenSSH_6.6.1
Virtualmin version 4.08.gpl GPL
----
The premise: I am setting up a small, simple torrent tracker front end and back in (xbtit), and it comes with php scripts that should allow me to do a real easy GUI install just by accessing my sub.domain.tld.

The story so far: Have a generic "hello world" index.html in my /home/domain/public_html folder, it opens up on browser. I also used virtualmin to create sub.domain.tld, and it made a folder /home/sub/ with public_html and other folders in it.

Inside of /home/sub/public_html I have all the files for xbtit torrent tracker front/back end, and the instructions say that if I now go to sub.domain.tld it will open up the visual web install. When I go to sub.domain.tld it pulls up the generic index.html page that I put in /home/domain/public_html. Why is it pulling up a file that is in an entirely different folder on my server? I'm sure there's just a small change in some configuration file that will tell the server to start reading correctly, and I have been searching, both through virtualmin settings and through online guides to find out what I need to do.

Yesterday I was getting this error, but I think that was before I realized I needed an index.html file in the public_html folder.

ERROR LOG:
H01276: Cannot serve directory /home/maindomain/public_html/: No matching DirectoryIndex (index.html,index.htm,index.php,index.php4,index.php5) found, and server-generated directory index forbidden by Options directive
--
THE PLOT THICKENS

So I just checked my logs, and something very suspicious is going on. I am not doing anything with my server at all right now except loading files to it, and yet all this stuff pops up in the log:

ACCESS LOG:
".249.76.94 - - [28/May/2014:14:10:06 -0400] "GET /hello.jsp HTTP/1.1" 404 414 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)"
66.249.76.94 - - [28/May/2014:14:10:06 -0400] "GET /hello HTTP/1.1" 404 409 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)"
208.115.111.70 - - [28/May/2014:14:11:17 -0400] "GET /topic/%E3%81%93%E3%82%8C%E3%81%AF%E5%AE%8C%E5%85%A8%E3%81%AB%E9%96%93%E9%81%95%E3%81%A3%E3%81%A6%E3%81%84%E3%82%8B%E3%81%A8%E4%B8%8D%E5%81%A5%E5%BA%B7%E3%81%A7%E3%81%82%E3%82%8B HTTP/1.1" 404 412 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; DotBot/1.1; http://www.opensiteexplorer.org/dotbot, help@moz.com)"
208.115.111.70 - - [28/May/2014:14:11:20 -0400] "GET /topic/cheap-authentic-jordans-hftvc HTTP/1.1" 404 384 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; DotBot/1.1; http://www.opensiteexplorer.org/dotbot, help@moz.com)"
208.115.111.70 - - [28/May/2014:14:11:22 -0400] "GET /topic/cheap-jordan-5-howard-ypcw HTTP/1.1" 404 381 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; DotBot/1.1; http://www.opensiteexplorer.org/dotbot, help@moz.com)"

I JUST NOW REALIZED that I used to have hosting with hostgator and ran a really basic forum through my domain. It wasn't password protected and I stopped using it, and the next time I checked on it it had been taken over by spam bots. I thought nothing of it as I wasn't using the forum anymore, and I thought I cancelled my hosting subscription and it would get shut off. I just checked hhostgator though and apparently I forgot to cancel, my account has been being charged every month and is now suspended, I just contacted them to tell them my huge mistake and hopefully get refunded.

BUT as you can see above, there's a lot of bot "cheap nikes" spam stuff showing up in my apache log, and I have no idea how it is happening. I'm sure I've pulled a totally insecure rookie mistake and you all are going to judge me harshly, but please help me fix it!

Let me know if you need more information and how I might query that information from the command line. Also, I haven't yet opened a .conf file, edited it, and saved it from the command line, so please be explicit in your instructions.

I am at your mercy and hope you will show pity on me.

Banja
James Blond

PostPosted: Sat 16 Aug '14 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may post the vhost config.

Reply to topic   Topic: Problem getting subdomain to accurately reflect file hierarc View previous topic :: View next topic