logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Finally, a current Win32 resource
Author
Brian

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct '05 3:12    Post subject: Finally, a current Win32 resource Reply with quote

Hi,

I am using Win32, Apache 2.0.55, and now also mod_security version 1.9. Since there are no other sites that are offering binaries to the Win32 community for this newest version of mod_security, I am lucky to be among the very few using it.

I am also running the newest version of Apache, also compiled by Steffen with the knowledge that it was fully tested on XP SP1 and SP2. I think that it is important to understand that in the Win32 community, and using software like Apache and mod_security, we are in the minority among the many Linux, SPARC, Solaris, and Unix users out there.

It is important to support those few resources that are available to us, and Apache Lounge is one of them. I have been associated with Sambar Server dot Info for over four years, a site dedicated to supporting the Sambar community.

Sambar for those who do not know, is a very powerful and capable all-in-one server. It includes the following servers: SMTP, IRC, PROXY, REVERSE PROXY, HTTP, HTTPS, WebDAV, and others. It is a really nice server platform that is availabe for Windows and Linux.

That being said however, it is not as capable as, nor as flexible as is the Apache Web Server. I would not dream of doing what I do on Sambar simply because Apache affords a web host far more third party solutions for better security, better performance, and so on. Apache is highly customizable, flexible, and expandible.

While out of the box, so to speak, Apache does not give me what I need in a default configuration, it does afford me the option to customize and improve on the Core Apache Web Server.

My point is that even though Apache is the most widely used server on earth, being a Win32 user, I am going to be left in the dark with many of the newest upgrades, often these are critical upgrades for improved security and stability.

Supporting this web site will go a long way to serving the Apache / Windows user base. There is a tremendous opportunity here to help many, if we support the efforts that Steffen has put forth.

I have put my time and my money where my mouth is. For that, I am running the fastest, most stable, and most up to date server possible with binaries compiled and tested for the very platform that I am running, Windows XP.

Happy hosting to all.

--
Brian Abbott

Reply to topic   Topic: Finally, a current Win32 resource View previous topic :: View next topic