logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: simple question before proceeding?
Author
Doug22

PostPosted: Fri 29 Aug '14 4:07    Post subject: simple question before proceeding? Reply with quote

I'd like to do a humans-versus-bots discrimination by having my website ask a simple question before proceeding. Like "What year is it?" I've seen that done.

It would be nice to do this before allowing access to a given directory.

This seems a lot simpler than imposing username/password protection, especially if access is for the general public.

How do I go about implementing this?
glsmith

PostPosted: Fri 29 Aug '14 4:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

With some kind of scripting language, your choice Smile

Have a form that asks the question, if the answer is correct then show the link/s to the file/s. Having expiring links would probably help as well.

If you know how to write php or some other scripting language it should be fairly easy, cost a little elbow grease is all.

Expiring links you can look into mod_auth_token, provided you have the know how to write the form/script mentioned above.

https://www.apachehaus.net/modules/mod_auth_token
glsmith

PostPosted: Fri 29 Aug '14 8:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then again, there are probably pre-made download scripts available, I'm sure this wheel has been reinvented numerous times.
Doug22

PostPosted: Fri 29 Aug '14 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. A pointer to a wheel would be appreciated, in order that it needn't be reinvented again!

Reply to topic   Topic: simple question before proceeding? View previous topic :: View next topic