logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: New to Apache and Servers
Author
BiscuitDuke

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec '14 21:11    Post subject: New to Apache and Servers Reply with quote

Hey, everyone. So I'm interested in turning my PC into a web server so that I can post the projects I do for school, as well as share some downloads with my friends and family. I'm for the most part familiar with coding and other PC mods, but I'm completely new to servers, so I hope I'm in the right place to get started.

Right now, my machine runs Win7 and Ubuntu 14.10 and my isp is ATT U-verse,and I have Norton Internet Security.

Before I start though, I have a couple of questions: I share my internet with 3 other computers and several devices (xbox, ipads, smartphones). how safe is it to run a web server at home, and will Norton help keep my server, and other PCs running Norton, safe? Or is there some other way to ensure my networks security?

Would it be easier to set up on Ubuntu instead of Win7, or even easier still, the Ubuntu Server OS?
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 18 Dec '14 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use win7 or Ubuntu. it is safe as long as the stuff you run on apache is safe, cause apache itself is bullet proof Wink
You don't need to open the port in your router so the stuff would be only reachable in your LAN that would make it even more safe.

Reply to topic   Topic: New to Apache and Servers View previous topic :: View next topic