logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2.4 Rejecting Options in <Directory>
Author
jcobban

PostPosted: Sat 01 Aug '15 5:54    Post subject: Apache 2.4 Rejecting Options in <Directory> Reply with quote

I have the following VirtualHost definition:

Code:
<VirtualHost *:80>
DocumentRoot /var/www/html/hidedomain.com
ServerName hidedomain.com
ServerAlias www.hidedomain.com
ErrorLog logs/hidedomain.com-error_log
CustomLog logs/hidedomain.com-access_log combined
        <Directory "/var/www/html/hidedomain.com">
                Options -Indexes MultiViews SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
                AllowOverride Options FileInfo Limit Indexes
                Require all granted
        </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Why does Apache2.4 reject line 8, the Options? With the exception of the "Require all granted" line this is copied from a working 2.2 implementation. I have checked the documentation and all 3 options are supported.
jcobban

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug '15 2:56    Post subject: Re: Apache 2.4 Rejecting Options in <Directory> Reply with quote

I removed "-Indexes" from the line and Apache 2.4 got past that line, but I do not understand why it is objecting to that option, which appears to be supported according to the official documentation.
glsmith

PostPosted: Sun 02 Aug '15 5:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go a little further in the 2.4 docs for Options

Quote:
Note
Mixing Options with a + or - with those without is not valid syntax and will be rejected during server startup by the syntax check with an abort.
jcobban

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug '15 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why? It seems to me that the Apache 2.4 development team was extremely inconsiderate to the thousands of programmers and system administrators who have to change existing valid configurations simply because they decided to be rigid and reject existing configurations with no explanation. This violates one of the fundamental principles of UNIX: don't break existing working code. Furthermore none of the error messages generated while starting up Apache actually explain anything. There is, to all intents and purposes, ONE message issued by 2.4 "Syntax Error". Apache 2.4 even issues a "Syntax Error" message for the case of a file name which is obviously syntactically valid even if it happens to refer to a file that no longer exists. It seems to me that absolutely no attention was paid to the costs being imposed on thousands of programmers and administrators by this inconsiderate behavior.
glsmith

PostPosted: Tue 04 Aug '15 4:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

They only promise not to break anything on a stable branch from one revision to the next. They even go out of their way to make current configs that simply worked correctly by exploiting a bug continue to work after the fix.

I cannot remember which one but 2.4.14 or .15 was not released because of just this, it broke prior working 2.4 configs.

New stable branches however are free game, how else would the server improve and and gain any new major features?

They probably should have made this version 3.0, but they had higher plans for 3.0 but wanted to get all the new stuff out (after 7 years of 2.2).

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2.4 Rejecting Options in <Directory> View previous topic :: View next topic