logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Other Software View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Another PHP install thread-Webserv a'int workin'
Author
TheZPS

PostPosted: Wed 09 Aug '06 19:30    Post subject: Another PHP install thread-Webserv a'int workin' Reply with quote

OK, I can see that there are already several PHP install threads. Im very sorry for creating another one, but Ive tried most of the things in those threads, and they arent working.
I am having trouble getting PHP to work with Apache.
I tried XAMP, but it didnt work so I uninstalled it. I have tried half-a-dozen manual installation techniques, which havent gotten me anyewhere. So, I uninstalled PHP & Apache for the umpteenth time and downloaded "webserv", which is basically a packaged installation deal that sets up WAMP.

Before I tried webserv, when I tried opening a PHP file I would get a standard windows error message. Now, with webserv, I dont get an error message, it just seems to ignore the PHP code. For example,
I type "Hello <? echo "world" ; ?>" and save as x.php
I open Localhost/x.php and just see "Hello"

I admit I am very new to this. Can someone who knows something about WebServ, or similar things, give any suggestions? Thanks.

PS-Ive uninstalled & installed PHP & Apache several times. Is it possible that this is interfering with things? Is there a way to be sure that PHP/Apache are compleatly uninstalled?
pnllan

PostPosted: Wed 09 Aug '06 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I suggest reading and following this topic:

http://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=570

Next, you are using 'short tags' in your code (<? is short tag - <?php is now consider the standard opening tag for PHP). Open your php.in file, and then locate short_open_tag. If it is set to OFF you must use the opening tag <?php; IT can be set to ON. So, are the 'short tags' enabled in your php.ini file?
TheZPS

PostPosted: Wed 09 Aug '06 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that thread before and found it unhelpful, but...

I changed the <? to <?php and IT WORKS NOW!!

im very happy!

thank you
pnllan

PostPosted: Wed 09 Aug '06 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind...how was that thread unhelpful proir to posting here?

I'm always looking to improve that Post.

Thanks.
TheZPS

PostPosted: Wed 09 Aug '06 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

well...by unhelpful I just mean that I went trough the directions in the post and PHP & Apache still werent talking. It was like the 4th thing I tried, so it is possible that previous things I tried interfered. but..

-I found the bit about overwriting the php5apache2.dll a bit confusing. I ended up just downloading what you linked to and following the instructions in the 'ReadMe'

-I compleatly ignored the PATH ENVIRONMENT bit, as I really didnt understand what you were going for.

-I also couldnt find the .msi file, so I downloaded the .zip
pnllan

PostPosted: Wed 09 Aug '06 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the INFO.

I changed the following (let me know if that more understandable):

- Reworded the section pertaining to the PHP handler (php5apache2.dll)

- Add the word PREVIOUSLY to the section about the MSI file

The PATH ENVIRONMENT is so that OS can find any DLL that PHP will call. Failing to do that will make that setup INOP.

Reply to topic   Topic: Another PHP install thread-Webserv a'int workin' View previous topic :: View next topic