logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Trying to create a stand alone "Sandbox" Apache en
Author
jLinux

PostPosted: Sat 03 Oct '15 8:16    Post subject: Trying to create a stand alone "Sandbox" Apache en Reply with quote

I hope I'm posting this in the right category...

So, long story short, I have a Web based PHP application that id like to distribute, and id like the preferred installation be the PHP application running on its own instance of Apache and PHP.

I want this for a few reasons...

1. Support - If they use this "Package" I can support them 100%
  2. To make it easier for those who dont know how to work with Linux servers or how to install Apache/PHP, or how to manage them
  3. So that it will be in its own environment, not in same service with other "websites" or applications

I know a great deal of Linux (Mostly RHEL/CentOS), and I'm pretty well experienced with Apache and PHP (Both from the server side and development standpoints)

The question I have is basically... Whats the best way to go about doing this? Has anyone here tried it before? I couldn't find any decent tutorials online, so I thought id try here. Im not sure if "Sandbox environment" is the proper term, but thats what was said to me. Im just trying to find the best way to get a "soloed" instance of apache setup. Is the best way basically just to tear into the RPM file for whatever apache version I want, and see what it does? Then customize the install so it puts all the files in a different/separate/consolidated location, then modify all the config/files accordingly? (init, httpd.conf, php.ini, etc etc) Or is there a preferred/documented way to do this?
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 07 Oct '15 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least Apache can be installed into /opt folder. I do that myself see https://github.com/JBlond/debian_build_apache24/tree/redhat

I'm not so sure about other packages like PHP and MySQL ( if needed) but you might ask the guys from xampp how they create that package.

For sure an eviroment can be done by let apache listen on a different port and limit the access to internal IP's.

However it might be more useful just to create a vhost in the default apache installation which is supported and updated by the vendor.
maba

PostPosted: Thu 08 Oct '15 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option would be the use of a docker container. You would install docker on the Linux host.

You could then just supply the docker image that would be self contained.

It also gives some additional security as you don't have to expose any of the usual network ports. You would just expose port 80 which is a command line option to docker.

Reply to topic   Topic: Trying to create a stand alone "Sandbox" Apache en View previous topic :: View next topic