logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Still better to run 64-bit Apache with less than 4GB of RAM?
Author
XenonKilla

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jan '16 7:38    Post subject: Still better to run 64-bit Apache with less than 4GB of RAM? Reply with quote

Just wondering if there are any drawbacks to running 64-bit Apache in Windows Server 2012 when the server has less than 4GB of RAM? Is it still better to run the 64-bit version anyways or would it be more beneficial to running the 32-bit version?
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jan '16 10:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no disadvantage. The benefit would be if the apache process has to grow over 2GB since on a 32 bit system a single process can only consume only 2 GB. ( Yes I'm aware that there are registry hacks to change that, but that is not recommended).

Usually apache does not consume so much RAM unless you use a third party module that blows apache. Happens often with mod_php for example. That is why many apache loungers use apache with mod_fcgid and PHP.
XenonKilla

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jan '16 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's what I'm running is mod_fcgid & php. On my own personal server this isn't an issue as I have over 32GB of RAM, however, I'm setting up a vBulletin board for someone else who is running on a VPS with only 2GB of RAM but is running Windows 2012 R2 so that's why I asked. I never really thought about it because I've always ran 64-bit systems now that RAM isn't really a cost factor these days. But it kinda got me thinking about what is the better choice when you're running UNDER 4GB of RAM on a 64-bit OS.

In any case I'll just continue to use 64-bit just like I've done on my own personal server.

I did notice that PHP is finally posting "experimental" 64-bit builds on their website now. That should help make things even more of a cluster f**k than they are now. Laughing
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jan '16 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 64 bit Apache with 32 bit PHP Thread Safe.
I noticed that the 32 bit version runs faster ( last test with 5.6.2) than the 64 bit variant.
Jan-E

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan '16 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Blond wrote:
Why Thread Safe, given that you run it as mod_fcgid? Unless you are using php_pthreads.dll there is no benefit AFAIK. And the NTS version is supposed to be faster.

James Blond wrote:
I noticed that the 32 bit version runs faster ( last test with 5.6.2) than the 64 bit variant.
I would not be really surprised if PHP7 64-bits is faster than PHP7 32-bits.
XenonKilla

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan '16 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan-E wrote:
James Blond wrote:
Why Thread Safe, given that you run it as mod_fcgid? Unless you are using php_pthreads.dll there is no benefit AFAIK. And the NTS version is supposed to be faster.

I was wondering the same thing. Aren't you supposed to use NTS with fcgid and TS for php as a module?
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan '16 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

XenonKilla wrote:

I was wondering the same thing. Aren't you supposed to use NTS with fcgid and TS for php as a module?

The cgi can be used from NTS and TS. I don't know why, but even though I used mod_fcgid the NTS version sometimes crashed the web server. That is why I use the TS version.
Jan-E

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan '16 11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Blond wrote:
The cgi can be used from NTS and TS. I don't know why, but even though I used mod_fcgid the NTS version sometimes crashed the web server. That is why I use the TS version.
It crashed the webserver?? What happened? Were both instances of httpd.exe gone? Only one without it starting a new second one? Or were both instances still running, but mod_fcgid.so crashed and it did not start a new php-cgi.exe?

Are we talking ancient history here or are these recent incidents?
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jan '16 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both httpd.exe processes where gone. In the error log was sometimes the same error as when the module crashed and the other times absolutly nothing.
XenonKilla

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jan '16 4:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey James,

I left you a couple replies in one of your threads...
https://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?p=32741#32741

I was gonna just shoot you a PM but apparently you guys don't have that functionality turned on.

Reply to topic   Topic: Still better to run 64-bit Apache with less than 4GB of RAM? View previous topic :: View next topic