logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache2 - the Debian way or standard
Author
apu

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr '16 11:48    Post subject: Apache2 - the Debian way or standard Reply with quote

The Debian style for Apache2 configuration is different from the standard version. Are there reasons why I shouldn't/couldn't use the standard Apache version from apache.org on top of Debian instead of the Debian version packages? I'd rather use my time to learn a general version used most often in mainframe computers / web hotels etc.

Thanks
apu
Steffen

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr '16 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw you posted this also at the list and had answers.

You said there:
The debian folks claim they make things easier but in fact they do quite the opposite when they distract folks from the source and its documentation. I found out this very soon after installing the Debian version and aquiring some reading. So its the standard way then. Now I only need good instructions for installation of standard binaries or building the whole thing from the scratch.

To build/install, have a look at: https://github.com/JBlond/debian_build_apache24
apu

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr '16 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. However, for some reason that seems to install apache in locations other than what the standard layout uses. Perhaps fixing that would be worth while, there seems to be no license denying that.

Actually, I was considering this:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/install.html
apu

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr '16 6:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steffen wrote:

To build/install, have a look at: https://github.com/JBlond/debian_build_apache24

This turned out to work for the standard layout too - that is - to path /usr/local/apache2/... with minor modifications.Here is how:

Download and unzip the zip file. Then go through each of the files and simply replace with a text editor each occurrence of folder "/opt" with "/usr/local" and voila it installs nicely. However, be extremely careful that each path is replaced correctly. I first tested with one of my spare machines and missed to change the path in one of the files and this created a huge mess which I won't even try to clean up.

I installed PHP CGI according to the instructions but so far have not been able to get the cgi "version" to work. Then I need to set up mysql/mariadb, and also sqlLite.

Thanks to Steffen for the hint and to JBlond - whom I now see to be present at this forum - for the solution, it made this pretty easy and smooth. I appreciate any further help or hints for PHP and DB:s.

Last edited by apu on Mon 04 Apr '16 15:25; edited 1 time in total
James Blond

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr '16 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not like the debian way of the spreaded config files and I wanted the last version of apache. That is why I made that script.

The biggest advantage of this is also the biggest disadvantage. You can compile apache your, but you also have to do it when ever there is a new version or a security fix. The apt-get dist-upgrade doesn't do it for you.

I wonder why you want to have apache at /usr/local instead of /opt?

--- edit ---

What is your issue with PHP?
apu

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr '16 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Blond wrote:
I do not like the debian way of the spreaded config files and I wanted the last version of apache. That is why I made that script.

Yes, exactly, thanks for your effort.

Quote:
The biggest advantage of this is also the biggest disadvantage. You can compile apache your, but you also have to do it when ever there is a new version or a security fix. The apt-get dist-upgrade doesn't do it for you.

With windows background I don't know Linux/Debian packaging enough yet to do this myself but there probably is demand for a Debian package which would deliver the standard installation. Strange that there isn't one, the benefits are obvious, all the configuration documentation starts to make sense.

Quote:
I wonder why you want to have apache at /usr/local instead of /opt?

At this point, because it is the default and all my literature assumes so. Is there a reason to want something else I do not know yet.

--- edit ---

Quote:
What is your issue with PHP?

The usual issue: lack of knowledge. I haven't been able to get apache to run PHP (cgi) files, all I get is display of the contents of the .php files. Perhaps I should change to php module rather than cgi. I previously had a LAMP installation using Debian packages, now I really need to learn something. If you have an idea what/from where I should read to get a grip of this, please let me know.

Thanks
apu
James Blond

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr '16 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is a PHP how to https://github.com/JBlond/debian_build_apache24/blob/master/php.md

And a sample config
https://github.com/JBlond/debian_build_apache24/blob/master/php_example.conf

make sure to load mod_fcgid

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache2 - the Debian way or standard View previous topic :: View next topic