logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Best practice vps development server
Author
Vinni02

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr '16 11:20    Post subject: Best practice vps development server Reply with quote

- Apache/2.4.6
- CentOS
- PHP 5.4.16, mysql Ver 15.1 Distrib 5.5.44-MariaDB

The VPS specification is as following 2 GB RAM, 2 CPU Cores, 48 GB SSD Storage, 3 TB Transfer, 40 Gbps Network In, 250 Mbps Network Out. The VPS is setup as a development server. So web sites are demoed on it. There are a few sites hosted that are hosted on it still undergoing development other are completed and no development work is being carried out on them. My question is if there is a trade off hosting the sites when they're no longer being worked on. These sites that are not being developed anymore will it be using up Apaches memory even though web crawlers are asked not too index, for argument sake they're visited by developers to see if still being hosted, does apache use up memory to load these sites. In that case is it left in memory even though it's not visited for a month? Or is memory free up when another site needs more memory.

The VPS is setup as having a virtual host server from the domain for example staging.server.com. In the root document folder there will be project1, project2, project3, project4 and accessed via staging.server.com/project1, staging.server.com/project2, staging.server.com/project3, staging.server.com/project4. Is this method with out flaw or does it use up a lot of memory as vhost for staging.server.com is I assume is showing to have four different projects on them. However only project3 and project4 are active. Project1 and project2 need not have any memory allocated to them.

Or is is best to have a vhost file for each project so as I'm assuming memory is shared across four different projects, and project 3 and project 4 will have more memory allocated to it as projects1 and project2 have no resource needs as they're isn't heavy traffic which I'm assuming apache addresses.

What's the best practice in a situation like this. Take down the completed projects and archive them or leave them up as they make no difference as memory is managed by apache correctly and giving that storage space isn't an issue.

Reply to topic   Topic: Best practice vps development server View previous topic :: View next topic