logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Can't access server from outside my network using port 80.
Author
Ariano

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul '16 1:04    Post subject: Can't access server from outside my network using port 80. Reply with quote

Huge noob here. I've been trying to set up a Web server for fun and to maybe learn something but am running into issues. I am able to access it through localhost but not through my public ip/domain name when using my cellular data. I've port forwarded port 80 and allowed it through my firewall. I've also called my ISP (Telus) and they say they do not block any ports on their end.

I ran:
Code:
netstat -anb

And found httpd.exe listening on port 80.

I'm quite sure my config file is setup correctly because I was able to connect to my website using port 33301, replacing all 80s with 33301s in the config file.

Finally, is it possible to make a redirection so when someone enters my domain in their browser it redirects them to the same name with :33301 at the end?

Thank you.
glsmith

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul '16 5:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not directly no because some server has to be listening on port 80 to answer http://www.yourdomain.com

Bear in mind this is very old and uses ZoneEdit for DNS but it gives you the concept and I'm sure even after 11 years it can still be done there. Depending on whom handles your DNS you may or may not be able to do similar. It's not exactly what you want but it does work and I think this is still the best option. It certainly gets you to the goal.

Oh and don't make the forward stealth if you're given the option. You'll understand after you read this.

http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/sbs-webserver-on-a-different-port-number.html
Ariano

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul '16 6:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see.

I find the link to dslwebserver.com very confusing.

Quote:
The work around I came up with includes using ZoneEdit.com for your DNS. Under "IP Addresses", delete the entry for "www.yourdomain.com"

It suddenly tells you to look under "IP Addresses" but what is it even talking about? Where?

And I don't have the option to stealth in forwarding.

So is it not possible for me to run my server on port 80? Do I need to use a different port? I appreciate your help by the way.
glsmith

PostPosted: Sat 09 Jul '16 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you used the words "my domain" so I assumed you have a .com/net/etc domain name.

You actually have a few IP addresses but the one we are concerned about here is the one assigned to you by Telus.

Short a quick, domain names humans use, IPs computers use. DNS invisibly translates domain.name -> IP address. DNS uses records to tell what IP address corresponds to which IP Address with A & AAAA records (the later being for IPv6 addresses.

What it's telling you is to remove the www.domain.com A record and set up a A record for ww2.domain.com,you can use anything, doesn't have to be ww2.

You set up a URL forward that uses http://www.domain.com which redirects the browser to http://ww2.domain.com:port. Port in your case is 33301. There for for the A record www. points to a different server than yours (in that example it's ZoneEdit's) and that server is configured to to rewrite the URL to ww2 telling the browser that is where it really needs to go.

URL forwards are used to redirect one URL to another. They usually have an option to be stealth (so the browser never shows the final URL to the user. This however is done using Frames (yes the ones in html) having a hidden frame go the a blank page and the main frame pointing to the destination URL. The problem here is anytime someone reloads a page, it puts them back to the index.html/php/etc page.

But, if whomever handles your DNS (often the place you got your domain) doesn't have the URL forwarding ability, the you're out of luck and have to add the :33301
Ariano

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jul '16 5:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't thank you enough. I decided to spend a lot of time trying to understand what was going on and ended up figuring out how to stealth forward in ZoneEdit.

I used their DNS name servers and put them into my domain provider settings.

Like the guide said, I would have to use www. before it to work but I'd say it beats placing :33301 after my website every time.

Thank you for your insight and time.

Reply to topic   Topic: Can't access server from outside my network using port 80. View previous topic :: View next topic