logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Odd log entries
Author
Birger52

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jul '16 21:51    Post subject: Odd log entries Reply with quote

Win7 64bit
Apache 2.4.9
Running HTTP server only with a number of VirtualHosts, and a hMailserver for mail.
I see in my logs, entries using CONNECT and OPTION:
Code:
114-44-56-58.dynamic.hinet.net - - [04/Jul/2016:10:04:34 +0200] "CONNECT vip163mx00.mxmail.netease.com:25 HTTP/1.0" 200 7229
fe80::ddff:85cf:4665:5d05 - - [06/Jul/2016:19:07:03 +0200] "OPTIONS / HTTP/1.1" 200 7229

Trying to look up the CONNECT thing, it appears to be used for SSL with proxy servers. I have no proxy set up and no modules for SSL loaded.
And no success figuring out what the OPTIONS, is actually used for...

What worries me, is that these entries indicate, that some form of data was actually returned.
From the number, I assume the returned data is actually the default page. (Same as "GET / HTTP/1.1")
Should I be concerned?
And if so, is there a way to stop these "things" in their tracks.
maba

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jul '16 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say, yes. There is some concern here.

It means your index page is shown even for invalid requests. This in itself is not a problem if your index page does not reveal anything more.

You might want to redirect invalid requests though. For example you should check whether the proxy_connect module is loaded. This would address the first log entry.

The second one is not so much of a concern.
Just try with curl or wget what the server will return on an options request and decide whether you want to do something about it.

Reply to topic   Topic: Odd log entries View previous topic :: View next topic