logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Restrict access to files in a public folder
Author
kakokiki

PostPosted: Wed 29 Mar '17 15:42    Post subject: Restrict access to files in a public folder Reply with quote

Hi all!
we just migrate our Wordpress Multisite from an Nginx server to an Apache/2.4.18 server (Ubuntu) and we are having some issues trying to block access to a certain files in folders under our public html folder.

We are using an .htaccess inside the specific folder to block the access, but it is not working how it should be (probably we are doing something wrong of course!)
Our .htaccess looks like this:

Code:

# Disable directory browsing
Options -Indexes

<Files ~ "\.(pdf|txt|doc|docx)$">
Order allow,deny
Deny from all
</Files>

The thing is that it works partially. Let's say I have file1.pdf inside the specific folder.

If I try to access the full URL: www.mydomain.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/xxx/files/file1.pdf IT WORKS. I CAN NOT ACCESS THE FILE
But if I use the rewritten link: www.mydomain.com/files/file1.pdf DOES NOT WORK. I can still access the file.

Is this something related with symlinks?
Our apache config for the html folders looks like this:

Code:

<Directory /var/www/>
   Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
   AllowOverride None
   Require all granted

</Directory>

Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you
James Blond

PostPosted: Sat 01 Apr '17 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllowOverride None disables .htaccess use.
kakokiki

PostPosted: Tue 04 Apr '17 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James,
I changed the apache conf to AllowOverride All and restarted Apache, but it is still not working properly.
I can not access the file using the first URL but I can still access it through the second URL.
It seems Wordpress is rewriting in some mode the second URL and the .htaccess is not restricting this secondary URL.
Miguel2016

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr '17 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to AllowOverride directive there is in
httpd-default.conf --> AccessFileName .htaccess

It's easy to overlook.

Reply to topic   Topic: Restrict access to files in a public folder View previous topic :: View next topic