logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache commands for dummies Qnap NAS ?
Author
Zappo

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr '18 9:29    Post subject: Apache commands for dummies Qnap NAS ? Reply with quote

Hi all

Forgive a newbie but I really need to know two things.
I have a Qnap NAS server set up as a web server. It all works very well but I do not have any access to the Apache area for setting up, other than SSH, as far as I know.

Is there any CPanel to install? If not - any tips on where to learn simpler command line commands like "Apache commands for dummies".
I am installing Free SSL to my web sites and that require me to, among other things, copy files in to an existing apache directory from my NAS.

Also, is it correctly understood that the line
"Require host example.org" in .htaccess will deny ANY external IP trying to connect to my server web site and ONLY accept MY fixed IP.
If so, will I block anything vital. My web host DNS is set to redirect to my fixed IP - users can only access if coming through my official host name.
glsmith

PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr '18 18:29    Post subject: Re: Apache commands for dummies Qnap NAS ? Reply with quote

Zappo wrote:
Is there any CPanel to install? If not - any tips on where to learn simpler command line commands like "Apache commands for dummies".

I know of none but that doesn't mean there is no "Apache For Dummies," Google it, see what you get.

I just used http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/quickreference.html. What I didn't understand I didn't bother with at first and over time I understood more and more and ventured into the great unknown. Trial and error, a great learning tool.

As for Cpanel, again Google about.

Zappo wrote:
Also, is it correctly understood that the line "Require host example.org" in .htaccess will deny ANY external IP trying to connect to my server web site and ONLY accept MY fixed IP.

No, "Require ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" will only allow your IP and only that IP. "Require host example.org" will allow all IPs that resolve to (*.)example.org. Using hostname will cause Apache to do a IP -> hostname lookup, this can take time and content will not be served up until the IP is looked up. Other than that it's great tool and I use it myself (kimsufi.com among others are blacklisted on my server) using the reverse "Require not host someschmuck.com."

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache commands for dummies Qnap NAS ? View previous topic :: View next topic