logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Question regrading SSL forwarding
Author
hec.ccwork

PostPosted: Mon 16 Dec '19 23:43    Post subject: Question regrading SSL forwarding Reply with quote

I am a DevOps brand new to Apache/Tomcat. I am taking on a task to refresh company's 15 year old website in a Docker setup. It is all fine until I get to the SSL part.

the setup:
--One Tomcat that host the front-end web application, it's all just web pages, sending request to back-end load-balancer, no SSL, no keystore loaded.

--One Apache Load-balancer handles request from front-end, pass through ajp to back-end workers. SSL cert and keys are loaded here. Logic is load-balancer will handles security check and simply pass the request onto workers, workers don't need to load SSL anymore.

--Four instance of workers actually takes request from load-balancer. no SSL, no keystore loaded.

My problem is, the old website wasn't setup correctly in terms of certificate (self-signed). We are trying to do it right (got godaddy cert) but I have no idea how it should be done. So I don't even know whether my current SSL setup is correct or not. Does front-end Tomcat needs to load a keystore file in Connector? Does each back-end workers need to load keystore file in Connector?

I am so new I am not even sure my questions make senses or not please be a little patient with me.

Thanks, please help.
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 17 Dec '19 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
an example config

Code:

<VirtualHost *:443>
    ServerName example.com

DocumentRoot "/web/htdocs"
    <Directory "/web/htdocs">
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride All
        Require all granted
    </Directory>

<Proxy "balancer://cluster">
        BalancerMember "ajp://app1.example.com:8009" loadfactor=1
        BalancerMember "ajp://app2.example.com:8009" loadfactor=2
        ProxySet lbmethod=bytraffic
    </Proxy>
    ProxyPass "/app" "balancer://cluster/app"

SSLEngine on
    SSLCertificateFile conf/certs/example.com/fullchain.pem
    SSLCertificateKeyFile conf/certs/example.com/privkey.pem

<Files ~"\.(cgi|shtml|phtml|php|htm|html?)$>
        SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
    </Files>
</VirtualHost>

See also https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_proxy_ajp.html

if you still have a question, please ask again.

Reply to topic   Topic: Question regrading SSL forwarding View previous topic :: View next topic