logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Hide "mod_fcgid/2.3.9" in Apache header response?
Author
mdrmdr

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr '20 10:16    Post subject: Hide "mod_fcgid/2.3.9" in Apache header response? Reply with quote

I'm using Apache on a Raspberry. The used version is the one I get with apt-get upgrade.

Code:
Server version: Apache/2.4.25 (Raspbian)
Server built:   2019-10-13T15:43:54

Since this is a "sensitive" server exposed to the internet, I want to - among many other security measures - completely hide the servers signature. I use:

Code:
<IfModule security2_module>
    SecRuleEngine on
    ServerTokens Full
    SecServerSignature "Go Away!"
</IfModule>

But the response still is "Go Away! mod_fcgid/2.3.9".
How do I hide the string "mod_fcgid/2.3.9"?

[Update]
I was too fast with asking Smile Found an solution myself. Just set "ServerTokens OS".

[Update 2]
It seems that Major|Minor|Min[imal]|Prod[uctOnly]|OS work (Full does not) as long as the SecServerSignature string is not longer than the one set by ServerTokens . So "GoAway" works with "Prod" (writes "Apache") since both strings are 6 chars long.

If the post is of no use for others, just delete it...
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr '20 16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to use mod_bikeshed[1]

You can change the signature completely. However security through obscurity is not the best option Wink

[1] https://github.com/JBlond/mod_bikeshed
DnvrSysEngr

PostPosted: Thu 09 Apr '20 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to what James Blond mentioned about using mod_bikeshed (which I use as well to hide all APACHE info to the world), you should also hide all PHP info to the world. To hide PHP from the world, make the following change in your PHP.ini file:

Change the following option

expose_php On

to

expose_php Off
glsmith

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr '20 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DSE .. that only keeps php from announcing itself.
DnvrSysEngr

PostPosted: Fri 10 Apr '20 1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

GLS ... That is true. I just generally do not like to give the evil doers in this world too much to work with, so I do my best to hide as much from them as I possibly can.

Just my 2cents worth Cool

Reply to topic   Topic: Hide "mod_fcgid/2.3.9" in Apache header response? View previous topic :: View next topic