logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2.4.46 hangs without logging anything
Author
Renderwarrior

PostPosted: Tue 24 Nov '20 11:24    Post subject: Apache 2.4.46 hangs without logging anything Reply with quote

Hello!
This is something that happens 1 time a week.
I've a win server with apache 2.4.46, php 5.6.40 and mysql 5.6.x
As I told, it hangs one time a week, but no logs anywhere. So nothing related to this hang in the apache logs or in windows logs.
When I open the Apache monitor, it says Apache is running... I do a restart, and Apache is back to ligfe again.

I found in the forum something related to the different version of openssl in apache and php. But as we have thousand users a day, why does this happens just one time every N days?

So, let's say the problem is the openssl version. Going back to a previous version of Apache would be safe? The latest Apache fixes some bugs so it would be ok going to a previous version?
Moving to PHP 7.2+ will require a bit of work as we've some files to update. But it would be the better way than moving apache to a previous release?

I noticed in the logs that there are some requests from attackers for discovering if we have specific libraries or applications.

Also I have configured on my vhost config a "catchall" site for capturing all the request towards sites/domains we don't use anymore, but that you could find somewhere on the web.
Yesterday I just noticed the hang happened after some requests on one of those domains, searching for .vscode file, or sftp-config.json or .remote-sync.json. So after a bunch of minutes, Apaches was freezed.
I don't know if the hang was related to those requests or not... asI told you, I've no errors in the windows event viewer or in the apache logs.

What do you think? It's better keeping my actual config, upgrade PHP, or restore an old version of Apache? (I'm not sure but maybe this kind of hang happened with the previous apache too)

Thanks a lot!
James Blond

PostPosted: Fri 27 Nov '20 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good option to use mod_fcgid for PHP. If PHP crashes it won't take down apache, too. See https://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=2394

if you still have a question please ask again.

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2.4.46 hangs without logging anything View previous topic :: View next topic