logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Some files not opening up Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author
azoapes

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct '06 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorge wrote:
It can be other things aswel, Router, ISP, ... that messing it up.

When switching server to Sambar, everything works fine... I really liked Apache, why can't it just work?
Steffen

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct '06 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, I am serving here .zip downloads and have no issues with corruption.

Sure you do not use mod-deflate ?

Steffen
Brian

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct '06 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you run Apache and Sambar at the same time please. Just put either Apache or Sambar on maybe prot 88 or 8080, what ever, then publish a link to the same exact file / folder within a vhost in Sambar and in Apache. I'd really like to see an A - B comparision LIVE, where both are online at the same time.

I just cannot believe that 11KB is going ot be good enough, and in fact the average fell below 10KB so the consistancy of the stream was poor. I understand this, I have a 1MB upstream connection, and I get about 95% of that bandwidth and only lose about 5% to TCP overhead. Even with this I often find that without QoS I cannot do simple things like VoIP which uses maybe 64Kb to 96Kb.

I would susggest you try a streaming media server like Unreal.
azoapes

PostPosted: Sun 29 Oct '06 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steffen wrote:
Strange, I am serving here .zip downloads and have no issues with corruption.

Sure you do not use mod-deflate ?

Steffen

No, it is a completely clean Apache installation from your zip, not even php is installed. The only module loaded is mod_authz_host.so because of it's essance in the standard httpd.conf
sb.net

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct '06 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried loading it and my speed was at 35kb/sec. It sounded like it did not load every xkb.

azoapes: do you have that trouble when you click up the file (over the internet) on the same computer?
Brian

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct '06 6:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something wrong with this file's encoding. I did download it to my local drive, played it and heard some annoying imperfections. It has some pops, or rather audio glitches every so often during the playback. This clearly is NOTHING what-so-ever to do with Apache, PHP, Sambar, or what ever.

This to me seams to be two clear issues. First, the download that occurs is not going to play well as a streaming audio file due to inconsistancies in the upstream, not uncommon for those of us hosting with either home or commerical connections in our homes.

I could stream this if I did not have a web server on the same connection, or if I had another server with QoS to assure the appropriate amount of bandwidth to the upstream.

Secondly, there are obvious issues with the actual file itself, played through the latest release of WinAMP. This is an MPEG layer three encoded file, playback is at 192Kbs.

I am pretty much certain the only problems are those I outlined, pure and simple in my view.
azoapes

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct '06 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
There is something wrong with this file's encoding. I did download it to my local drive, played it and heard some annoying imperfections. It has some pops, or rather audio glitches every so often during the playback. This clearly is NOTHING what-so-ever to do with Apache, PHP, Sambar, or what ever.

Secondly, there are obvious issues with the actual file itself, played through the latest release of WinAMP. This is an MPEG layer three encoded file, playback is at 192Kbs.

I have made it perfectly clear that this IS an Apache issue. It's NOT a Sambar or any other software's/file's issue, only Apache. Check the links below and compare yourself. It is the same audio file. It works fine on Sambar and when playing locally, but not when downloaded from the server via Apache.

sb.net wrote:
do you have that trouble when you click up the file (over the internet) on the same computer?

Yes, I have the exactly same problem when doing that. The only way to get the file working is to play it locally from the server, from the "real" mp3. Or use the Sambar (and all other) server.

Brian wrote:
Could you run Apache and Sambar at the same time please ... I'd really like to see an A - B comparision LIVE, where both are online at the same time

Okay, the Apache server's mp3 file is at this address:
http://azoapes.no-ip.com/files/Funky_Jazz.mp3

The Sambar server's mp3 file is at this address:
http://azoapes.no-ip.com:8080/files/Funky_Jazz.mp3

Brian wrote:
I would susggest you try a streaming media server like Unreal

Noone uses a media server to upload zip, pdf and non-streaming media files. Nor do I.

NOTE: Again, I want to make clear that this issue is not related to a specific file or file format. The mp3 file in the links above are just examples where the glitches can be clearly heard. This issue is not related to ISP, router, firewall or such local considerations either. The file lying on the Apache server BECOMES corrupt in one way or another. We are at least two having this problem.

Last edited by azoapes on Mon 30 Oct '06 17:22; edited 2 times in total
Steffen

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct '06 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are sure it is a Apache issue, then you can file a bug report at http://httpd.apache.org/

Still it can be a network related issue, Apache does things different then Sambar.

Shoot me your httpd.conf (mail via the contact link), who knows I see some.

Maybe you can also read http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

Steffen
sb.net

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct '06 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

should I send you mine?
James Blond

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct '06 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Send Steffen your httpd.conf
tdonovan

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct '06 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other long-shot thing you might try.

There are two file-reading features of Apache which can be turned off:
    EnableSendfile on Windows enables the use of overlapped IO and sequential scanning

EnableMMAP enables memory-mapped files.

You can turn them off with the following directives (which should already be in your httpd.conf commented out):
Quote:
EnableMMAP off
EnableSendfile off

Worth a quick test, but I don't know of any reason these features should not work correctly on Windows XP.

-tom-
azoapes

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct '06 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdonovan wrote:
One other long-shot thing you might try.

There are two file-reading features of Apache which can be turned off:
    EnableSendfile on Windows enables the use of overlapped IO and sequential scanning

EnableMMAP enables memory-mapped files.

You can turn them off with the following directives (which should already be in your httpd.conf commented out):
Quote:
EnableMMAP off
EnableSendfile off

Worth a quick test, but I don't know of any reason these features should not work correctly on Windows XP.

-tom-

I LOVE YOU!

By turning off EnableSendfile you fixed two of my problems:

1. Files get corrup when uploading
2. Uploading is limited to about 30kb/s

THANKYOU!

Problem solved!
sb.net

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct '06 18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT WORKED FOR ME TOO. thanks sooooo much.
tdonovan

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct '06 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great that you are up and running! W00t! W00t!

It looks like we worked around the problem rather than really fixed it.
Since it affects you and sb.net (and probably many other people too) - it would be good if we could get to the bottom of it.

It looks like you are running XP Pro, while sb.net is running XP Home.
The only thing in common so far is that they are both XP-sp2 systems and you are both running Apache 2.2.3.

That can't be the whole story, since I and other people run fine on XP-sp2.

If you don't mind, could you let us know a few more details in hopes of actually reproducing this problem while running Apache in the debugger:
    What's your exact version of xp ( [Start] [Run] winver.exe) - mine is Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 : Service Pack 2)
    What's your total and available Physical memory when Apache is running ( [Ctrl-Shift-Esc] [Performance] tab)
    What kind of disk is the mp3 file on - same drive as Apache, different drive? How big? How full?
    Are you up-to-date with all Windows-Update patches?
    Are you running any other software which might affect disk file access? (kind of a vague question, I know...)
    What anti-virus software are you running?

BTW - just checking, are you sure it was EnableSendfile, not EnableMMAP which worked?
It narrows it down a lot if we can be positive about which directive made the difference.

Thanks for any info you can provide. This really should get into the Apache bugbase (or maybe the Windows XP bugbase) - but a non-reproduceable bug is not likely to get fixed very fast unless we can find out what makes this happen to some folks and not to others.

Thanks again for any help you can provide in killing this evil bug once and for all!

-tom-
azoapes

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct '06 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I run with only EnableSendfile disabled, not EnableMMAP. And it works.

My server has this:
* 1Gb RAM, 400MB available when running
* Win XP Pro ver 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp.050928-1517 : Service Pack 2)
* htdocs in Apache directory, local hard drive on server (NTFS)
* Automatic updates on critical updates -> a lot of KBXXXXX's installed...
* Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0
* DTE disabled, Windows firewall disabled

Other relevancies you can think of?
sb.net

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct '06 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

only "EnableSendfile off"
http://data-base-web.com/winver.png
physical memory: 457192k
mp3s on the same drive. used space: 126gb. free space: 15gb. size: 142gb
I am semi-updated.
not that i know of.
McAfee.
tdonovan

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct '06 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

It looks like using Windows disk-file "overlapped IO" and "asynchronous IO" together is not working right for you.
If you are interested in the gory programming details about this, see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/156932

The Apache code looks right to me at first glance, according to the notes in the kb - but I'll check more carefully.

It doesn't seem like low available memory triggers the bug.
Maybe it happens when the disk is mostly full like sb.net reports (and maybe fragmented) . I'll try to create this situation and try again to reproduce the symptoms.

In short - it looks more like a Windows XP bug than an Apache bug, but that's just a guess at this point.

Apache is probably unique in using almost every available Windows file-access and net-access performance feature at the same time.
That could be the explanation why other software (like SAMBAR) doesn't show this bug.

-tom-
sb.net

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct '06 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, when I saw that I only had 15gb left I started cleaning off my computer. Then i tried using apache without EnableSendfile off. It worked!, but i am going to keep it on. So the problem is in disk space.
azoapes

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct '06 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

sb.net wrote:
actually, when I saw that I only had 15gb left I started cleaning off my computer. Then i tried using apache without EnableSendfile off. It worked!, but i am going to keep it on. So the problem is in disk space.

Sounds unbelievable... I have 14GB free space right now on that particular disk... it's newly defragmented so that's not the problem anyway. In that case, it started somewhere about 20GB free, which is about 10% quota of that partition, and 8% of that hard drive...

The issue is either about at least 20GB free space or at least 10% free space.
sb.net

PostPosted: Mon 30 Oct '06 22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe windows starts a service at that point that apache can't work with.

Reply to topic   Topic: Some files not opening up View previous topic :: View next topic