logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: PHP and Apache 2.2.x
Author
philip

PostPosted: Sat 06 May '06 6:51    Post subject: PHP and Apache 2.2.x Reply with quote

It would appear that there is an issue with PHP and Apache 2.2.x for Windows users, could you please explain what this issue is exactly and suggestions on how it could be solved? I've found several posts on the topic but can't find the one that explains the exact problem in detail.

I work on the PHP Manual and am finding several users running into this problem but I don't know this topic, please help! :-) A user comment in the PHP manual brought me here.

Could there be one php5apache2.dll to use for Apache 2.0.x and 2.2.x or must multiple dll's exist? I doubt it, and your download page indicates not. Would you suggest PHP ship multiple dll's for this? It would seem like it'd get messy with for example php5apache20.dll and php5apache22.dll etc.

Thanks! :)
Steffen

PostPosted: Sat 06 May '06 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because major changes in the httpd/apr api's. Same situation when Apache 2.0 was coming out (thats why we have already two .dll's in the Win32 package, one for 2.0 and one for 1.3).

With bad luck with a next APR or HTTPd release we need again a new .dll version.

Linux users have the same issue, but they normally build php/Apache against the newest version. Al lot of Win32 folks are building php/apache nowadays themselves, and that is good news.

I think there is also a more principal issue:

PHP is a source code development project and Win32 Binaries are provided at the convenience of a contributor. Why would Win32 merit a comment or priority over, say, a Solaris pkg or a Linux rpm?

Steffen

ps.
Windows users have been lucky these past few years, the php-team provided binaries for them, thanks.
philip

PostPosted: Sat 06 May '06 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

You raise some good points, thanks for the response. After posting here I submitted a bug report so if you're interested in can be seen here:

http://bugs.php.net/?id=37338

Your example regarding Solaris is a good one, I guess it's easy to expect *nix crowds to compile and not Windows users...
Steffen

PostPosted: Sat 06 May '06 10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is more, forgot to tell:

If it is working, depends also if Apache is build with VC6 or VC8 (c++ VC2005).

When the php-team decide to ship a new .dll with the Win32 binary then it works either, out of the box, with the Apache build with VC6 or with VC8. At the moment ASF ships build with VC6 but they have plans to build it a next time with VC8.

So things are becoming then complicated for the users.

In the meantime you can put a note in the manual, that the .dll for 2.2 is available from the ApacheLounge.

Steffen

Reply to topic   Topic: PHP and Apache 2.2.x View previous topic :: View next topic