logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Problems with Apache 2.0.49 using XP
Author
Norman G

PostPosted: Thu 18 May '06 21:43    Post subject: Problems with Apache 2.0.49 using XP Reply with quote

I have been using Apache with win 2000. I have now upgraded to XP Pro and get the following error message:

Only one useage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permited. :make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:80. no listening sockets available, shutting down. Unable to open logs.

Any help would be appreciated.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu 18 May '06 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is you listen directive in the httpd.conf ?

Tt should read for example: Listen 80

Some other server using port 80 ?

Steffen
Norman G

PostPosted: Thu 18 May '06 23:13    Post subject: Problems with Apache 2.0.49 using XP Reply with quote

Tt set to Listen 80

Not aware of anything else using port 80.

Being a novice how do I check?
pnllan

PostPosted: Fri 19 May '06 8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link for an application named 'CurrPorts':

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html

The download links are at the bottom of the page.
Norman G

PostPosted: Sat 20 May '06 9:00    Post subject: Problems with Apache 2.0.49 with XP Reply with quote

Thanks pnllan

Have run cports and the only the occurance of port 80 is with Apache although several addresses show 0.0.0.0

Any other suggestions?
pnllan

PostPosted: Sun 21 May '06 8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Norman,

You are going to have to 'fess' up some info...

What version of Apache are you running and where did you get it?

Also, need to know what's in your CONF file - Specifically:

What does your Listen directive look like? - do a search in the CONF for instances of 80. It could be that you have more than one instance of Listen.

Also, What do you have for ServerName?

To show how one can 'goof up', the other day I was setting up SSL. I use Apache 2.2.2 with multiple CONF files. I made the mistake of adding Listen 443 to my HTTPD.CONF, and also set to INCLUDE the HTTPD-SSL.CONF. That was an ooops. The HTTPD-SSL.CONF also has a Listen 443 directive. Needless to say, Apache coughed up it guts (as it should in this case). Once I removed the Listen 443 in the HTTPD.CONF, Apache started up with SSL.

My point: irregardless of what you think you are sure of - Check anyway - troubleshooting can be aggravating and frustating (sometimes)...in that kind of mental state it's real easy to overlook things - not that you are, but look anyway.

Anyway, beyond what I have said, we here at the Lounge may need to see your whole CONF file(s).
Norman G

PostPosted: Sun 21 May '06 9:49    Post subject: Problems with Apache 2.0.49 using XP Reply with quote

Thanks pnllan

I am using Apache 2.0.49 which worked ok with Windows 2000.

The only instances of '80' are
Listen 80
ServerName localhost:80
Norman G

PostPosted: Sun 21 May '06 22:18    Post subject: Problems with Apache 2.0.49 using XP Reply with quote

Hi pnllan

Problem solved.

Apparently error message was caused as Apache was already running in the background.
Shows what a novice I am.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to topic   Topic: Problems with Apache 2.0.49 using XP View previous topic :: View next topic