logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Accessing by localhost gives diff result than 127.0.0.1
Author
dejudicibus

PostPosted: Thu 22 Dec '11 1:03    Post subject: Accessing by localhost gives diff result than 127.0.0.1 Reply with quote

I am experimenting a strange behavior. I have a WampServer environment on which I installed WordPress on my local PC. When I load the main file of my blog, that is, http://localhost:8080/wordpress/index.php, I get from Chrome and Firefox an error 301 message about too many redirect, or redirect loop. Note that I use 8080 port to avoid conflict with Skype. However, if I load ANY OTHER page of blog, I have no problems. I spent a lot trying to troubleshoot this problem: I looked at .htaccess file, cleared the cache, change wordpress code... I tried mostly any suggestion I found on web about similar problems. No way. However, it is not that what surprised me, but the fact that, when I loaded http://127.0.0.1:8080/wordpress/index.php everything worked fine! In fact, the same blog, when published on the web on a real domain, works fine. Now, I know that localhost IS NOT exactly 127.0.0.1 since the former use windows sockets whereas the latter only TCP/IP, but I do not really understand why that affect redirects.... Sad Any idea? I cannot find anything in httpd.conf that could be relate dto that...
glsmith

PostPosted: Thu 22 Dec '11 4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

localhost on Win Vista & up is typically ::1 ipv6, this could be why if the WAMP is not IPv6 capable.
dejudicibus

PostPosted: Thu 22 Dec '11 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

glsmith wrote:
localhost on Win Vista & up is typically ::1 ipv6, this could be why if the WAMP is not IPv6 capable.

I have the problem on both XP and Vista. It is not related to IPv6.
dejudicibus

PostPosted: Thu 22 Dec '11 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

glsmith wrote:

Please, note that the problem is related only to REDIRECT LOOP on MAIN page. I have no problem to use localhost on any other page, even of the same blog.
James Blond

PostPosted: Sun 25 Dec '11 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

dejudicibus wrote:

Please, note that the problem is related only to REDIRECT LOOP on MAIN page. I have no problem to use localhost on any other page, even of the same blog.

I guress the redirect is caused by wordpress. Cause you have to enter a domain name in the backend and wordpress tries to switch to that url. I had that problem too, when I switched from www.example.com to example.com Wink
I think there is plugins that allows multiple domain name in wordpress. Else you have to work with the url of your choise.
dejudicibus

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec '11 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Blond wrote:
I guress the redirect is caused by wordpress. Cause you have to enter a domain name in the backend and wordpress tries to switch to that url. I had that problem too, when I switched from www.example.com to example.com Wink
I think there is plugins that allows multiple domain name in wordpress. Else you have to work with the url of your choise.

Well, sure! I *KNOW* that redirect is caused by a WordPress plugin. I also know which one: qTranslate. I wonder why the problem occurs

1. only with index.php
2. only on localhost (not on domain)
3. only with Firefox and Chrome, but not with Opera
4. only with localhost:8080 but NOT with 127.0.0.1:8080

I suspect I could setup my Apache config to vaoid that. PS Do not tell me to get through with qTranslate: I won't Wink
James Blond

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec '11 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no expenrience with qTranslate.

Well I'm not a wordpress hacker. What do you mean by only index.php? Do you use the rewriting with .htaccess file?
dejudicibus

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec '11 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Blond wrote:
I have no expenrience with qTranslate.

Well I'm not a wordpress hacker. What do you mean by only index.php? Do you use the rewriting with .htaccess file?

I use the standard WordPress-generated .htaccess. By ONLY INDEX.PHP I mean that the problem occurs only on coverpage, not with any other page of blog, and only if I use localhost. If I use 127.0.0.1 or on remote domain, no problem. I suspect there is a problem of "lack of communications" between Apache and the Windows socket that does not exist if I use TCP/IP directly, but I am not so expert of httpd demons to understand which one.
James Blond

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec '11 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

That scenario is a bit weired to me.
Condtion: url is / and host is localhost.
result: it fails

Condition: url is /whatever and host is localhost
result: it works

I need to know more. Which apache version and where downloaed?

Quote:

REDIRECT LOOP on MAIN

Which error message do you get in your browser? What happens in that time in the error log and the access log?
dejudicibus

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec '11 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Blond wrote:
That scenario is a bit weired to me.
Condtion: url is / and host is localhost.
result: it fails

Condition: url is /whatever and host is localhost
result: it works

I need to know more. Which apache version and where downloaed?

Quote:

REDIRECT LOOP on MAIN

Which error message do you get in your browser? What happens in that time in the error log and the access log?

FAILS FOR

url is / && localhost

WORKS FOR

url is / && 127.0.0.1
url is / && myblog.com
url is /whatever && (localhost|127.0.0.1|myblog.com)

I use the latest version of WampServer, 2.2, that is:

Apache Version : 2.2.21
PHP Version : 5.3.8

MSG is Too Many Redirects | Redirect Loop
access.log show no problem, but there are too many 302 like this

127.0.0.1 - - [16/Dec/2011:18:21:49 +0100] "GET /wordpress/it HTTP/1.1" 302 -

Reply to topic   Topic: Accessing by localhost gives diff result than 127.0.0.1 View previous topic :: View next topic