logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache on Windows servers for production usage?
Author
Materix

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug '12 18:09    Post subject: Apache on Windows servers for production usage? Reply with quote

Do you also use Apache on Windows servers for production usage?

When reading on stackoverflow and some other places, it is not recommended to use Apache on Windows for production, but instead use IIS+PHP.

What is your opinion?
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug '12 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run it and it runs solid like a rock with the right hardware.

Also this page, apachelounge, is running on windows with apache. Never had performance issues.
Xing

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug '12 19:28    Post subject: Re: Apache on Windows servers for production usage? Reply with quote

Materix wrote:
When reading on stackoverflow and some other places, it is not recommended to use Apache on Windows for production, but instead use IIS+PHP.
Can you be more specific ? What are the reasons ?
Should be interesting to know

I run both and must say that both are stable and performance is on par. Apache wins in flexibility and feature set, more and more IIS is implementing (stealing ?) Apache features, see the latest marketing compare at http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/703/iis-for-apache-administrators/ . The list there is not complete, they try to be competitive with Apache.

When I compare the official IIS forum and Apache list, then my opinion is that IIS is harder to configure.
Materix

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug '12 19:50    Post subject: Re: Apache on Windows servers for production usage? Reply with quote

Xing wrote:
Can you be more specific ? What are the reasons ?
Should be interesting to know
Most arguments have been concerning stability and speed.
Materix

PostPosted: Thu 30 Aug '12 23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Blond wrote:
I run it and it runs solid like a rock with the right hardware.

What do you mean by "right hardware"?
James Blond

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug '12 11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast harddrive, enough RAM, fast CU with 4 or more cores and one or two gigabit network connectors.
hankman

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug '12 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've got 2 Windows 7 based servers running with the latest Apache, PHP and MySql software. I'm using very modest hardware (CPU with single core, 1GB memory) and both servers run like clockwork!!
Materix

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug '12 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

hankman wrote:
Hi, I've got 2 Windows 7 based servers running with the latest Apache, PHP and MySql software. I'm using very modest hardware (CPU with single core, 1GB memory) and both servers run like clockwork!!

Is there not a limit in number of current connection to a Windows 7 machine?
hankman

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug '12 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. In Windows 7 the maximum number of logged on users is 20. You can check this yourself:

Open the "Command Prompt" as Administrator.
Type "net config server" and check for "Maximum Logged On users".
This is the number of maximum inbound connections, or concurrent connections.

This number of connections is enough for my purposes, but I can imagine you need more. I guess that there are patches or registry tweaks to change the related TCP settings. Some google searches might give you that answer. If not, you have to change to Windows 2008 R2 server.

Regards.
Kanashii

PostPosted: Sun 02 Sep '12 8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I whose use Apache on Windows for a 4-5 years 3 months ego i switch to IIS.

I still testing my script on apache writing mod rewrite rules then just simple import into ULR Rewrite.

On Apache i use mod_limitipconn and Mod Dosevasive on IIS i had "Dynamic IP restriction".

About performance by PHP is almost the same but IIS use fastcgi on Apache windows is only poor,buqy fcgid.

But on static content i see big difference. Apache 2.4 drop support to mod_memcache what is for me bad decision. Almost all dedicate server had software raid not hardware raid so even use mod_disc cache will be user more CPU time.

On IIS i can cache static content in kernel what is fantastic also when some dynamic script are in high usage i can add rule to cache them.

No need use watch_dog like in apache when apache hang sometimes one time per year you are f***ked.

Yes you can use win Apache on production server but when for you is important even 1% or better performance use IIS. Of course is not about software but you knowledge
James Blond

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep '12 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanashii wrote:

About performance by PHP is almost the same but IIS use fastcgi on Apache windows is only poor,buqy fcgid.

What is buggy about fcgid? I don't have problems with it.

Kanashii wrote:

But on static content i see big difference. Apache 2.4 drop support to mod_memcache what is for me bad decision. Almost all dedicate server had software raid not hardware raid so even use mod_disc cache will be user more CPU time.

Did you try mod_socache_memcache ?

Admin Note: Topic splitted, about mod_socache_memcache see http://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?p=22534
Kanashii

PostPosted: Wed 05 Sep '12 5:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use 2.2 :0

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache on Windows servers for production usage? View previous topic :: View next topic