logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Cannot access any page within my browser using localhost.
Author
rantas

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov '05 3:09    Post subject: Cannot access any page within my browser using localhost. Reply with quote

I have Apache 2.0.55 running as a service in Windows XP SP2. I visited lots of sites regarding installation and configuration of Apache. My config file is ok (I think). The name of my server is localhost in port 80. I can stop and restart the server without problems, but when try to access the test page (http://localhost/) the browser try for a long time to access the page, but then I get the 'cannot access page' message.

The value of DocumentRoot is correct. I renamed the proper html file (portuguese) to index.html. If I open that file directly, I can seee the test page for Apache.

Can somebody help me?

I don't know what to do anymore...Sad

Thanks
Steffen

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov '05 3:20    Post subject: Re: Cannot access any page within my browser using localhost Reply with quote

Hi,

You wrote:

rantas wrote:

... then I get the 'cannot access page' message....

I assume that you get a "The page cannot be found" ?

After install of Apache, what did you changed/added in the httpd.conf ?

Steffen
rantas

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov '05 13:33    Post subject: I didn't change anything in the config file yet... Reply with quote

As the server is running ok, I didn't change anything yet.
Brian

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov '05 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you get for output when you try to hit localhost?

Do you get as Steffen asked, the standard page cannot be found error page that apache delivers?

The type of output that you get (or don't get) from Apache is important as it will help determine where the problem is at.
rantas

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov '05 21:14    Post subject: Yes, that's the message, after a long time waiting. Reply with quote

I don't know if this is correct or not, but when I write on ms-dos console (cmd) 'netstat -noa' I see that the 80 port is assigned to the IP 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0:80). In the utility program Active Ports from www.ntutility.com, I get the 127.0.0.1:80 (Apache.exe). My windows host file (.../system32/drivers/etc/hosts) contain the correct information:

127.0.0.1 localhost

I tried several ports. I just don't know...
rantas

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov '05 21:21    Post subject: Ping 127.0.0.1 also works Reply with quote

Ping 127.0.0.1 works
Steffen

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov '05 3:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be something simple, because Apache is running and listening on port 80. And you did not changed anything in the httpd.conf (really sure ?).

http://127.0.0.1/ also not working ?

Please look for any sign in:

/logs/access.log
/logs/error.log

What says your "Listen" directive in httpd.conf ?

Steffen
sm00nie

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov '05 8:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having the same problems, I just updated to the current Apache 2 and all is well now.

Best of luck.
rantas

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov '05 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the error.log I have this two suspicious messages all over the file:

[Mon Nov 07 12:57:26 2005] [crit] (OS 10022)Foi fornecido um argumento inválido. : Child 82000: setup_inherited_listeners(), WSASocket failed to open the inherited socket.
[Mon Nov 07 12:57:26 2005] [error] Parent: child process exited with status 3 -- Aborting.
[Mon Nov 07 12:57:26 2005] [notice] Apache/2.0.55 (Win32) configured -- resuming normal operations

The access.log is empty

In the apache configuration file I have

Listen 80

And yes, I'm sure that I didn't modified this file.
Maybe that messages in the log file are the answer?

Thanks again for your attention.
Steffen

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov '05 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any virus scan or firewall running ?

If so try to remove completely (not only disable it)

see also www.apache.org/dist/httpd/binaries/win32/ under heading Problems Running Apache 2

Steffen
rantas

PostPosted: Mon 07 Nov '05 15:40    Post subject: Found the solution!!!!! Reply with quote

You're right. My firewall was the problem. It was not enough to disable it. I must uninstalling it. Now everything works fine. By the way, what firewall do you use? I must have one.

Thank to all for you precious help Wink
Brian

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov '05 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rantas,

I am a believer in using hardware firewalls, not software firewalls for servers.

I use a server-quality anti virus program by Symantec (not Norton AV), and I use a ZyXel brand firewall router for protecting all the systems on my LAN.

Software firewalls can be beat with some Trojans. Though the software firewalls like Zone Alarm can protect you by monitoring outgoing stuff, what applications are trying to send what data to where, if you run a server as a server and not a gaming system or workstation, then you should not need to be concerned with outgoing stuff.

Since Trojans and worms can ONLY be released by some type of access being granted by such things as opening an attachment, an application or some type of interaction with the user / administrator, if you use your server as only a server, you should never have to worry about getting a virus or worm on your server, and having it become active.

The AV software I use scans every single thing that comes in and out, but quite honestly I am not technically up to speed as to how it does. I just know that it works exceedingly well, and the combination of a good AV program and a hardware firewall has been fantastic.

One final note on the Windows based firewalls, software that is, they are going to slow down your system to some degree. The hardware firewalls, especially high quality firewalls, simply don't have the same negative impact. I chose ZyXel because of the very high standards that they meet and exceed when testing their equipment. It is not too expensive, though more than the average "home user" router, but the quality is just fantastic.

I used to get tons of connection issues just over my LAN with both Linksys and D-Links, but none with ZyXel. I am one who believes in taking a very pro-active approach to trying to stay ahead of intruders. Even if you don't have ports X, Y, and Z open, thus no application is there to listen so in theory you would not need a firewall, there are always the cases of unknown problems occurring.

If you use a router / firewall to deny access to the entire LAN if the traffic is NOT expected, then you deny the potential of future intruders finding an as of yet unknown security hole.

Good luck.

Reply to topic   Topic: Cannot access any page within my browser using localhost. View previous topic :: View next topic