logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Hardware & Networking View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: virtual hosts apache windows resolve locally but not externa Page Previous  1, 2
Author
glsmith

PostPosted: Sun 05 Oct '14 6:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah, the clues where there for me when I first tried going to your server and it timed out. Being really tired I did not pick up on it but it just came to me a few minutes ago anyway.

The clues:
The CentOS in the response headers
The test of DNS I did last night
> www.aacomputersandconsoles.co.uk
Name: www.aacomputersandconsoles.co.uk
Address: 109.75.164.106

> 109.75.164.106
Name: ns.microlite1.com
Address: 109.75.164.106

The browser telling me:
The server at 86.2.xxx.xxx is taking too long to respond. Checking this IP and it going to cpc2-leicxx-x-x-custxxx.x-x.cable.virginm.net

And just now going and seeing there's a hidden frame when you view source of the page.
https://www.apachehaus.net/misc/wfsrc.png

You're using what is called a stealth web forward. microlite1.com's web server is getting the actual request and responding back with a framed html page. The main frame of this page is going to http://86.2.xxx.xxx. That is not not any domain name just your IP and with only the IP Apache is just going to serve the default (which is the first) host.

You need to be using true DNS, as in A, AAAA(IPv6), CNAME records [1] so that the DNS servers just tell our browser what the IP address is but do not actually become a middle-man in the connection between the visitor and your server.

[1] http://www.uk-cheapest.co.uk/domain-custom-dns.php
You can see the 2 A records on the top of the list. The @ is for the domain without the www in front, the second is for www.domain.com
The 109.75.164.106 in the example image looks rather familiar.
leecooper2013

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct '14 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi yeah i did restart it after. it will now only try to connect to the xampp control panel. and the comments line doesn't exist in the configuration file. Also Shellshock will that affect apache if it's running under windows???

as its my belief it only affect unix/lunix and yes my dns file are only web forwarded as opposed to being permanently set in cname and others.
leecooper2013

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct '14 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

will web forwarding affect it as opposed to setting cname etc?????
leecooper2013

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct '14 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much for your help!!!!!!! Very Happy
leecooper2013

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct '14 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have reconfigured aacomputersandconsoles.co.uk www a record to my ip address still to no avail
glsmith

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct '14 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half the times I have tried I get no response at all, like the server is shutdown for the night (since I'm on the other side of the pond).

It often takes time for DNS changes to propagate around the globe, this is something that just has to be lived with. The TTL is what regulates this time, it is in seconds. 3600 in an hour.

The DNS has propagated to my server already but maybe not yours yet. But even going to http://86.2.155.117 I get no response from your server.

> www.aacomputersandconsoles.co.uk
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.aacomputersandconsoles.co.uk
Address: 86.2.155.117

> www.guildwebsites.co.uk
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: www.guildwebsites.co.uk
Address: 86.2.155.117
leecooper2013

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct '14 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

i re installed everything everything is up and running now changed index pages slightly just for quickness it guildwebsites.co.uk i have changed to my ip address not aacomputers and consoles.
i greatly appreciate all your knowledge and expert advice thanks
leecooper2013

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct '14 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are a genuis it looks like it works fine now!!!!!!
leecooper2013

PostPosted: Mon 06 Oct '14 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

i so appreciate your help thanks man!!!!!

Reply to topic   Topic: virtual hosts apache windows resolve locally but not externa View previous topic :: View next topic