logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Too many files in a directory and apache chokes
Author
mmapes

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug '06 21:24    Post subject: Too many files in a directory and apache chokes Reply with quote

I can't believe I'm the only person this has ever happened to, but I can't find any information anywhere on the net.

I have Windows 2000. I installed Apache 2.0.59. I can do the following predictably.

Start with the /icons/ alias that comes pre-written in the httpd.conf file, (I prefer to use a test folder, but it works anywhere).

I start Apache and I browse to 127.0.0.1/icons/ (or /test/, in my case). If I start with an empty folder, all is well. I see a directory listing in my browser.

I add a plain text file to the folder, it shows up in my browser when I click refresh. I add another file, then another, and so on.

When I get to about 50 files in the directory, Apache stops showing the directory listing. Instead, I get "page cannot be displayed" in my browser. I delete a file from the folder and restart apache, suddenly I see the directory listing. I add another file or two, apache chokes again.

Sure wish I knew what was going on. I never had this problem with Apache 1.3. I hate to go back because there were apps I wanted to use with apache 2, but I do need to work, and this is killing me. Any help is appreciated.
Steffen

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug '06 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

First 2.059 is a legacy (old) version of Apache, not maintained anymore by ASF (only important security fixes in principal). Most of us here are using 2.2.x

Indeed I cannot believe that you have this issue Smile

When I understand a Directory listing is working with 0 till about 50 files and if more then you have the issue ?

Is Apache crashing ? You say it chokes.

Try to find out in the access.log what status code Apache is given on the request(s).

And.. anything in the error.log ?

Steffen
mmapes

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug '06 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's pretty hard to believe. First, I'm using 2.0.* because I wanted to use Subversion. That's the whole point of the upgrade from 1.3. But most of the tutorials I've seen specifically say NOT to use apache 2.2 with Subversion, so I'm stuck.

As for the log files, here's my latest step-by-step test.
1. Open and delete contents of error.log and access.log
2. Stop Apache; Start Apache.
3. Clear browser cache. Close browser. Open it.
4. Browse to 127.0.0.1
5. Check access log. (response 200 for page and feather image)
6. Check error log. Many notices about shutdown and startup. No errors. I don't understand the "child 2080: starting 250 worker threads." but it seems normal to me.
7. Browse to 127.0.0.1/test/. 50 files in the folder. Browser says "The Page cannot be displayed."
8. Check access log. Interesting. Response 200. Nothting new in error.log.
9. Delete 5 files at random from the test folder, leaving 45.
10. Clear browser cache.
11. Browse to 127.0.0.1/test/. Browser shows the list of files correctly (icons do not display, though).
12. Check logs. access.log shows status 200 for directory and 4 icon gifs (although the icons themselves didn't actually show in the browser). Nothing new in the error log.

Weird, huh? Maybe I'll just need to give up on the idea of using subversion until it will work under apache 2.2.
Steffen

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug '06 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

First try to get the icons displayed.

Steffen
mmapes

PostPosted: Sun 06 Aug '06 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks for trying. I give up too.

I installed the default windows apache 2.2 and tried to paste in the Alias code for the icons directory but then I got 403 (not allowed). What a pain. I'm just going to go back to 1.3.

Reply to topic   Topic: Too many files in a directory and apache chokes View previous topic :: View next topic