logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache (x64) Performance
Author
tcpmux

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug '06 23:59    Post subject: Apache (x64) Performance Reply with quote

Hello,
i have heart about the x86 builds of Apache on blackdot.
Which advantages do they have? Is the Apache x86 more performant..or can it just assign more than 4GB RAM?

And then a general question...is the Windows version of Apache as good as the linux version?
thor erik

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug '06 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my opinion is that their prity mutch alike (i dunno on the modules but they both work werry well with php at least <.<)
Steffen

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug '06 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

A application itself must be written to take advantage of what your 64-bit CPU has to offer. Without this, there isn’t going to be any benefit in performance on an x64 platform. Apache is not (yet) developed with X64 in mind.

I have seen reports that X64 applications actually performed worse in 64-bit than it did in 32-bit Windows.

Steffen
Steffen

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug '06 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry overlooked your other question.

The Apache Windows version is based on exactly the same code as the linux version. And nowadays Apache is developed with Windows in mind.

The mean reason I started the ApacheLounge was that Apache on Windows is as good as on Linux.

Steffen
tcpmux

PostPosted: Sun 06 Aug '06 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers.

It looks that i have no advantage of using the x64 version of Apache...So, what is it for? Just for fun?
thor erik

PostPosted: Sun 06 Aug '06 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

well x64 (64 bit) is to take advantage of the adressing limit (witch is twice as high as the 32 bit Wink)
exactly what these adresses are used for i don't know. but there are there to make apps be abel to handle more...

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache (x64) Performance View previous topic :: View next topic