logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Connection timeouts using mod_proxy_ajp
Author
janders

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug '06 1:35    Post subject: Connection timeouts using mod_proxy_ajp Reply with quote

Hey all, I've been scouring this forum and google but I'm coming up blank. The documentation on mod_proxy_ajp seems to spend alot of time on the ajp protocol but I didn't find much on cofiguration.

I'm running apache 2.2.3 on solaris and using mod_proxy_ajp to send dynamic requests off to tomcat 5.5.? running under jboss 4.0.3. Everything is working great until we get into requests that take Jboss longer than 60 seconds to respond.

This is the behavior I'm seeing:

1. apache handles request
2. apache pushes request to jboss/tomcat
3. jboss/tomcat successfully handles request
3.a. if dynamic process duration < ~60s request handed back to apache
3.a.1. apache returns request to user agent
3.b if dynamic process duration > ~60s, user agent never receives response

This smells like a connection timeout to me. Of the 20 tests I did, each request that took jboss/tomcat 59.2 seconds or less were returned properly. Each Request that took jboss/tomcat 63.7 seconds or higher was never returned to the browser.

First question: am I right in thinking this smells like connection timeouts? Second question: if so, can someone point me to some configuration values and/or reference pages for mod_apache_ajp with configuration values?

A thousand thanks in advance...

Jason

edit: forgot to add, nothing is showing up in the apache error logs.
janders

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug '06 2:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww crap, I just noticed the "on Windows" part of your banner up top. Apologies for polluting your forum with *nix problems. Smile

If this is platform agnostic and someone has an answer I'd still be grateful to hear it.

Thanks!

Jason
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon 14 Aug '06 3:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. As stated on the forum index page are the forums, although primarily committed to Win environments, about Apache in general. All flavors of OS are welcome here. There are very few Apache directives specific for a OS.

Did you noticed that a 60 seconds and a timeaout setting are mentioned at :

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy.html#proxypass

On that page is also the ProxyTimeout Directive

Steffen

Reply to topic   Topic: Connection timeouts using mod_proxy_ajp View previous topic :: View next topic