logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Password Asked For Any Web Site Visited on Host Machine
Author
rishman1

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul '06 8:54    Post subject: Password Asked For Any Web Site Visited on Host Machine Reply with quote

Hi,

I just installed and set up Apache on my computer. It works in the sense that using a remote computer, I can access my shared folders on my host computer.

However, on my host computer, when I use Internet Explorer to visit sites, I am often asked to enter in a username and password (same prompt that appears when you try to access the host from a remote computer). I can't figure out why it does this.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.
Steffen

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul '06 13:23    Post subject: Re: Password Asked For Any Web Site Visited on Host Machine Reply with quote

Not sure what your issue is.

rishman1 wrote:
.. I am often asked to enter in a username and password (same prompt that appears when you try to access the host from a remote computer).....

Can you be more precise, when does this exactly happens ?

Steffen
rishman1

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul '06 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You know how if you try to log into the host computer from a remote computer, if you have set up a password using htpass, a tiny screen will pop up that asks for your user name and password?

Well, when I am on my host computer, when I visit certain sites, the same thing happens, and it only happens when Apache server is running. For instance, when I came to this Apache Lounge site, the little screen pops up saying "Connect to ad.linksynergy.com" in the title bar and then "This is a private area, please log in," and I am supposed to enter in a user name and password. It seems to happen only for ads and such.

The text "This is a private area, please log in" is exactly what I put in my .htaccess file to be asked when someone tries to log into my host computer, so that is where the instructions are coming from... But I don't get why is asked when I am on my host computer visiting random sites.

I set up Apache, .htaccess, etc. following the instructions on this site:
http://lifehacker.com/software/feature/how-to-set-up-a-personal-home-web-server-124212.php

and my .htaccess file says:

AuthType Basic
AuthName "This is a private area, please log in"

AuthUserFile [path to my password file]
AuthGroupFile /dev/null

<Limit GET POST PUT>
require valid-user
</Limit>
Steffen

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul '06 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

All is fine when you stop Apache, you do not get for example Page Not Found ?

Very interesting issue, never seen this issue. I have no clue.

It looks that in some situations stuff is routed/redirected to your Apache on port 80. Maybe a network/router/windows issue.

Steffen
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul '06 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

AuthGroupFile /dev/null LOL! That is the Unix crashcan with instand deleting. That as AuthGroupFile?? Under Windows this don't exist!
You have to set a real file! Wink
rishman1

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul '06 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Blond wrote:
AuthGroupFile /dev/null LOL! That is the Unix crashcan with instand deleting. That as AuthGroupFile?? Under Windows this don't exist!
You have to set a real file! Wink

Oh... So what should I set it to? (What does authgroupfile even signify?) Sorry, I am new to this...

Thanks.
pnllan

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul '06 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are two point to be made about James comments:

1. Your path was pointing a *nix path

2. Do you really need a Auth Group?

Per the Apache Manual:
Quote:
AuthGroupFile Directive
Description: Sets the name of a text file containing the list of user groups for authorization
Syntax: AuthGroupFile file-path
Context: directory, .htaccess
Override: AuthConfig
Module: mod_authz_groupfile

The AuthGroupFile directive sets the name of a textual file containing the list of user groups for user authorization. File-path is the path to the group file. If it is not absolute, it is treated as relative to the ServerRoot.

Each line of the group file contains a groupname followed by a colon, followed by the member usernames separated by spaces.

Example:
mygroup: bob joe anne

Note that searching large text files is very inefficient; AuthDBMGroupFile provides a much better performance.

We always try our best to help, but we expect that people also try to help themselves as well. If you look at the manual, Find the topic Refernece Manual. There you will find a link called 'Qucik Directive Reference'. Once there you will find an alphbetical listing of all the directives (like what I quoted above). If you need clarification after reading the manual, PLEASE feel free to pose your questions here.

Last edited by pnllan on Tue 18 Jul '06 21:00; edited 1 time in total
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jul '06 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTM at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_authn_file.html for normal auth.
Steffen

PostPosted: Wed 16 Aug '06 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

rishman1 wrote:
... when I visit certain sites, the same thing happens, and it only happens when Apache server is running. For instance, when I came to this Apache Lounge site, the little screen pops up saying "Connect to ad.linksynergy.com" in the title bar and then "This is a private area, please log in," and I am supposed to enter in a user name and password. It seems to happen only for ads and such.

Do you have a Norton or simalar scanner/pop-up blokker running. I hade a report from a user that Norton was causing this kind of issues

Steffen

Reply to topic   Topic: Password Asked For Any Web Site Visited on Host Machine View previous topic :: View next topic