logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Third-party Modules View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: mod_fcgi vs mod_fastcgi connections ?
Author
Zane_TLI

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jun '17 19:26    Post subject: mod_fcgi vs mod_fastcgi connections ? Reply with quote

Split from https://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=2394

James,
thanks for your tutorial. Could you please confirm/deny that mod_fcgid is inferior to mod_fastcgi because mod_fcgid can only accept one connection per time + the PHP process gets killed/respawned each time?

Thanks.
James Blond

PostPosted: Mon 12 Jun '17 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truth is that mod_fcgid spwans a sufficient number instances of the CGI program to handle concurrent requests.
BUT those instances do NOT get killed / respawned each time. The advantage of mod_fcgid over mod_cgi is that the process / instance lives on. Therefore it is much faster than the old cgi.

I use mod_fcgid with PHP mostly. With FcgidProcessLifeTime 0 I don't let the fcgid process die until I have to restart apache. That enables the use of PHPs' opcache. There is almost no difference between mod_php and mod_fcgid + PHP. Yes you could measure a little difference, but in real world I never thad an issue with that.

Also the last known commit to mod_fastcgi was 5 years ago (AFAIK) [1]. www fastcgi com is no longer in use.

[1] github.com/ceph/mod_fastcgi

Reply to topic   Topic: mod_fcgi vs mod_fastcgi connections ? View previous topic :: View next topic