logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Trouble using soft link when requesting image file
Author
FloatingBee

PostPosted: Mon 19 Feb '18 22:57    Post subject: Trouble using soft link when requesting image file Reply with quote

Environment:
WHM v68.0.29
Apache/2.4.29
CENTOS 7.4

I am trying to configure Apache to follow a symbolic link from one account's public_html folder to another account's public_html folder. So, if Account1 has a soft link "slink":

~account1/public_html/slink -> ~account2/public_html

Given the above, assets are available via two paths:

account2.com/index.html is the same as
account1.com/slink/index.html

account2.com/st/site.css is the same as
account1.com/slink/st/site.css

I added the symlink, and things seemed to work, including html, css, and javascript files, files in subfolders, etc. The problem is, image files don't work. The log shows a 404 error when accessing via the soft link.

account2.com/image.jpg (200)
account1.com/slink/image.jpg (404)

The image files have the same permissions/owner/group as the text files.

I've searched for a solution but I haven't found any other example of someone with the same goal/problem. One thread said that Apache's memory-mapped files capability might cause symlink failures, and that using "EnableMMAP Off" might solve it. I do not have a lot of experience configuring Apache, so I am wary of adding that config option without more confidence it will solve the problem, and a better understanding of any performance implications.

Has anyone encountered this problem before?
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 21 Feb '18 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you enable that "Feature"?

Code:
Options FollowSymLinks
FloatingBee

PostPosted: Wed 21 Feb '18 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Blond wrote:
Did you enable that "Feature"?

Code:
Options FollowSymLinks

Not explicitly, but I believe it was already enabled because html and other static files are working when fetched through the soft link.

Also, see my next reply. I found the issue.
FloatingBee

PostPosted: Wed 21 Feb '18 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the issue.

The soft link works. The issue was the Hotlink Protection module in cPanel. Account2 had Hotlink Protection enabled, and the valid domains did not include the domain used by Account1.

The soft links work for images if either (A) Hotlink Protection is disabled or (B) Hotlink Protection is enabled but the valid accounts include the Account1 domain.

Reply to topic   Topic: Trouble using soft link when requesting image file View previous topic :: View next topic