logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache2, PHP 5.1.2 and MySQL
Author
jdbunnell2

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan '06 5:26    Post subject: Apache2, PHP 5.1.2 and MySQL Reply with quote

Hello Steffen and all,

I have installed Apache 2.0.55 and PHP 5.1.2 on my personal windows me computer, and I would like to install MySQL as well.

To the best of my knowledge both of the above SEEM to be working and setup correctly. Although, I dld and installed (unzipped) PHP 5.1.1 before 5.1.2 was released. Since then I just unzipped 5.1.2 over the existing 5.1.1 and use the same php.ini file, or is there more to it than that? When I run phpinfo it still displays the ver as 5.1.1, is this ok?

My goal in doing this is so that I can learn to use Apache, PHP and MySQL on my computer. When I am somewhat proficient I still want to continue to develop and test web pages without first having to upload everything to the server, where everything will then be available to the rest of the unsuspecting world.

I would like to keep any requests via the internet from being accepted by my system if at all possible. At least for now, untill I know more about what I am doing and how everything works.

Can I accomplish this or is this just a hopeless dream?

Which community ver number of MySQL is best for what I am trying to do?

Am I using the proper vers of Apache and PHP?

A couple of years ago I did this with all windows progs. I used PWS and Access from ms. I wrote ASP scripts to read and write to the Access database and everything that I wanted to do. However, the ms solution is getting too expensive.

If and when I have this working the way I want, I will probably change to a Linux os. But, it will not be for a while.

Thank you each for your time and consideration.
Steffen

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan '06 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Unzipping over the old php version should work. The same php.ini you can use.

The best is to run the latest version of MySQl, current is 5.0.18

I advise to use Apache 2.2.0:
Apache versions 2.2.0 (stable), 2.0.55 (old-stable), 1.3.34 (legacy)

Quote:
I would like to keep any requests via the internet from being accepted by my system if at all possible. At least for now, untill I know more about what I am doing and how everything works.

Can I accomplish this or is this just a hopeless dream?

Not sure what you want to achive here.

Steffen
jdbunnell2

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jan '06 22:48    Post subject: Apache 2.2 and what I'm trying to do Reply with quote

Hello Steffen,

Thank you for the quick reply!

I was going to use the current stable releases of each one, but as I was making my way to dld Apache I read several references on the Apache site that advised me NOT to use ver 2.2 for an installation on windows me. I don't remember for certain now, but I think it stated further that there was no compiled binaries for 2.2 for windows me.

But since you said that I should try it, perhaps I read it wrong. I will try to upgrade to 2.2 this weekend. Anything special that I need to do for that upgrade?

I will also install MySQL 5.0.18.

As for what I want to achive.

Currently and for the near future I do not have the time to devote in running Apache, php, and MySQL on my system for allowing other users access via the internet.

In other words I want if possible to keep my AMP installation to where only me ( and MAYBE certain other users) can access them from my computer only. I don't want anyone browsing to any of my web pages, or even 'seeing' that I have MySQL installed, much less be able to run queries or updates, etc. on it.

Later, say in 8 to 10 months from now when I have more experience with AMP, and are much more comfortable with the security of my computer system, I may decide to use my computer as the server for my website(s). At that time I want everyone in the world to access my web pages.

Please forgive me if I am still not clear. I think I know what I want to do, just not sure if it can be done this way, and how to express it.

Your guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you. - J.D.
jdbunnell2

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan '06 4:03    Post subject: Apache 2.2 Reply with quote

I just needed to read a bit more on YOUR site. I am dldg your zip for 2.2 now. Also, trying to determine which of the modules I need and will dld them as well.

Amazing what good a short nap will do for some people (me). Smile - J.D.
Steffen

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jan '06 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anything special that I need to do for that upgrade?

For upgrading see http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/upgrading.html and
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/new_features_2_2.html

Quote:
In other words I want if possible to keep my AMP installation to where only me ( and MAYBE certain other users) can access them from my computer only.

You can limit access by IP or can create a login for users with ie. .htaccess

Steffen
pnllan

PostPosted: Thu 19 Jan '06 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

After UN-ZIPPING, you need to COPY the file - php5ts.dll over to your SYSTEM32 folder. This will facilitate PHINFO working properly.

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache2, PHP 5.1.2 and MySQL View previous topic :: View next topic