logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: time to restart
Author
sailor

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar '21 12:38    Post subject: time to restart Reply with quote

I often find that the time to restart seems "long". It takes about a minute. I do use cronolog and can see some instances using 4 gigs of RAM. Most of mine are VMWare with two or four cpus on Windows 2012R2 to 2016. Most are only 1 host with local MySQL and Wordpress. IS that normal?
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 10 Mar '21 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

The restart time of apache? Your VM? If it is apache how do you restart it?
tangent

PostPosted: Thu 11 Mar '21 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you performing a hard or graceful restart? The latter will wait for existing connections to complete and close before restarting, which will take time. Although faster, a hard restart will sever user connections.

The kernel will also need to flush pending output from Cronolog, as much as any other Apache logging method, when the processes are being terminated.
sailor

PostPosted: Fri 12 Mar '21 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm referring to restarting via the Apache service.

So, if it's a busy server, it may take a while?
tangent

PostPosted: Fri 12 Mar '21 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Windows, the Apache service restart process currently entails a graceful shutdown. There are a number of posts on the net that suggest this is the case, but the safest way to verify this is to look at the Apache code.

If you look in server\mpm\winnt\mpm_winnt.c we find the following comment in the ap_signal_parent() function..
Code:
           /* This MPM supports only graceful restarts right now */

So this explains your lengthy, controlled restarts.

Reply to topic   Topic: time to restart View previous topic :: View next topic