logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Win 10 WSL 2 - Ubuntu:20.04 - Apache/2.4.41
Author
jsabarese

PostPosted: Wed 17 Nov '21 12:49    Post subject: Win 10 WSL 2 - Ubuntu:20.04 - Apache/2.4.41 Reply with quote

Greetings. Having taken some hiatus from web dev etc., I've returned to find myself pleasantly surprised with the (so far) ease of use of the WSL for web dev/ Linux-like server practice under Windows 10. That said...

I'm encountering something I've never seen before, and I didn't find anything when I Googled it.

Attempting to load http://localhost/subdir/ (no index.file), the browser is redirected to http://localhost/subdir/undefined

I don't know if I have something configured incorrectly. I am also having difficulty configuring the "sites-enabled" to my satisfaction. I thought I knew how to use the
Code:
<VirtualHost *:80>...
, but the results are not as I expected. Please advise.

DETAIL:
This is a "new" Win 10 installation as well, but I have an old HDD with years of development work on it.

WSL2 is out-of-the- box simple, in terms of mounting drives. I have my old dev drive as /mnt/h/apahce2/htdocs (where /mnt/h would be == H:\ , H:\Apache2, etc)
I want to serve files from the /mnt/h/apache2/htdocs/ directory on that slave HDD, but I can't seem to get my .conf file configured correctly. Or, perhaps it's a folder permissions issue. I've had issues configuring Apache under Ubuntu in the past, so I think my syntax is off. I need to do more research, obviously, but maybe someone here can spot what's not right straight away.
Code:

#
# term:$ ln -s /mnt/h/Apache2/htdocs /var/www/htdocs
#
# sites-enabled filename: 000-default.conf
# aka the default Ubnuntu config
#
<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
   DocumentRoot /var/www/html
  ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log
   CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined
</VirtualHost>
#
# sites-enabled filename: 001-htdocs.conf
# where /var/www/htdocs is a symlink to /mnt/h/Apache2/htdocs
#
   DocumentRoot "/var/www/htdocs"
   ServerAlias htdocs
<Directory /var/www/htdocs/>
      AllowOverride All
      Options FollowSymLinks Includes Indexes
    Require local
</Directory>
    ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/hdrive-error.log
   CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/hdrive-access.log combined
</VirtualHost>

In the past, the code format was more like this, which i also tried without success:

Code:

DocumentRoot "/var/www/htdocs"
   Alias "/htdocs/" "/var/www/htdocs/"
   Alias "/htdocs" "/var/www/htdocs/"
   <Directory "/var/www/htdocs">
      AllowOverride All
      Options FollowSymLinks Includes Indexes
      Require local
   </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

Any insight will be appreciated. I did create the /var/www/htdocs directory with ${USER} permissions. Thanks for reading!

My intended function / result here is to be able to access my different development directories mapping them as virtual hosts. is this not the correct way to map different directories on a local server?
e.g.
localhost/htdocs (as intended in the .conf example above)
localhost/some_experiment
localhost/something_else

it works as i want per directory if i modify the 000-default.conf file, but... that seems to be missing the point of what i'm trying to configure. Thanks for reading!
jsabarese

PostPosted: Fri 19 Nov '21 17:42    Post subject: WSL User forums Reply with quote

I seek help with the WSL on Win 10 for web dev. I am disappointed that I can't find much about it specifically, aside from a few mentions here and there about the basics, and mostly more about Linux admin Vs running Apache etc.

Are you aware of any LAMP on WSL users' forum?

Thanks for reading!
tangent

PostPosted: Sat 20 Nov '21 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

WSL is a curious beast, and as you rightly point out, one for which there's not yet much detail on application hosting, versus functionality from a Linux admin perspective.

Presume you've confirmed there are no permission issues following the symbolic link to /mnt/h/Apache2/htdocs, specifically under WSL as the user running Apache?

Moreover, you don't say specifically why you want to host these development directories (mapped as virtual hosts) using Apache under WSL, rather than natively under Windows.

From an Apache perspective, apart from known configuration differences between Windows and Linux hosts (MPMs aside), functionality is similar, so why would one choose to run Apache under WSL rather than the host OS?

All WSL does is add another layer of abstraction, and performance overhead.

I too have had limited success with WSL to date, not least of which I can't run it on VM's running under VirtualBox (my chosen hypervisor), since SLAT pass-through (needed for WSL) is not yet supported by VirtualBox.
James Blond

PostPosted: Sun 21 Nov '21 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if the symlink is working like you think. Did you try to use the /mnt/h/apache2/htdocs/ as DocumenRoot and Directory settings?

Reply to topic   Topic: Win 10 WSL 2 - Ubuntu:20.04 - Apache/2.4.41 View previous topic :: View next topic