logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: How to prevent switch to from "fpm-fcgi" to "
Author

PostPosted: Mon 29 Aug '22 20:54    Post subject: How to prevent switch to from "fpm-fcgi" to " Reply with quote

I have had a pretty awkward experience:

I set my Apache webserver up to use "fpm-fcgi" instead of "apache2handler". So far so good.

Then sometime later I did a general server update with
    apt update;apt full-upgrade

As part of the general update, the Apache webserver was updated. This caused the Apache webserver to automatically or unknowingly to me switch from "fpm-fcgi" to "apache2handler". I only realized a couple of weeks later that this happened.

After doing the following process now
    sudo systemctl stop apache2
    sudo a2dismod php7.4
    sudo a2dismod mpm_prefork
    sudo a2enmod mpm_event

I am back on "fpm-fcgi".

However, I am pretty puzzled about how this can happen. Is there a way of preventing this?

Moreover, the "libapache2-mod-php" package, which I figured is compulsory for running "apache2handler" for PHP is not installed on the server which makes me wonder even more.

Any comment on this mess I am experiencing? Thanks a lot and cheers
James Blond

PostPosted: Fri 02 Sep '22 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the maintainer of your Linux distro prefers to use mod_php aka apache2handler with mpm_prefork.
jfha73

PostPosted: Sun 04 Sep '22 3:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had that problem, I noticed that even though libapache2-mod-php was not installed, libapache2-mod-php7.4 (or any other version) was, so i suggest to do a: apt search libapache2-mod-php to see if it shows any version installed and uninstall it.

PostPosted: Tue 06 Sep '22 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Blond wrote:
I think the maintainer of your Linux distro prefers to use mod_php aka apache2handler with mpm_prefork.

This is Debian 11. Should have mentioned this. Yeah, apparently.

jfha73 wrote:

When I had that problem, I noticed that even though libapache2-mod-php was not installed, libapache2-mod-php7.4 (or any other version) was, so i suggest to do a: apt search libapache2-mod-php to see if it shows any version installed and uninstall it.

Thanks for this tip. Indeed libapache2-mod-php7.4 was still installed. Removed and purged this package. Let's see what happens next time. Good to know that I was not the only one who ran into this.

Reply to topic   Topic: How to prevent switch to from "fpm-fcgi" to " View previous topic :: View next topic