logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: New to 2.2.3, need virtual host help
Author
rabidjade

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov '06 15:39    Post subject: New to 2.2.3, need virtual host help Reply with quote

I just upgrade from Apache 2.0.55 to 2.2.3. When I started installing my old directories back in I noticed the VH setup is quite different. This is an example of my VH container from 2.0.55 with the current directories:

Code:
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName www.website.com
ServerAlias website.com
DocumentRoot "d:\apache2\www\website"
ErrorLog "d:\apache2\logs\website\error.log"
CustomLog "d:\apache2\logs\website\access.log" common
</VirtualHost>

I see with 2.2.3 that there is a seperate file in /extra/ that contains all the VH information. Does this container get added into that file the same way or does it get add like the following example as shown in the actual file:

Code:
<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin webmaster@website.com
    DocumentRoot /www/website
    ServerName website.com
    ErrorLog logs/website-error_log
    CustomLog logs/website-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

I also need to know if I uncomment the
Code:
#Include conf/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf
in the httpd.conf. Is there anything I should do in the httpd-vhosts.conf file other than add my VH's if the above is true?
Brian

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov '06 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

The /extra/ directory is optional. You don't have to use the plethora of includes, though doing so offers the advantages of a modular approach. You don't have to edit one long HTTPD.CONF file.

As for the structure of the virtual host containers, it should be the same, only you need to double check your paths.

I converted one site to 2.2.x and while the structure of the CONFiguration files changed to a modular approach, the structure of the virtual host containers was the same.

You should be able to use the same vhost containers, just copy & paste them into your new vhost include file.

BTW, I never use \ backslashes, I always use / forward slashes.
rabidjade

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov '06 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
The /extra/ directory is optional. You don't have to use the plethora of includes, though doing so offers the advantages of a modular approach. You don't have to edit one long HTTPD.CONF file.

As for the structure of the virtual host containers, it should be the same, only you need to double check your paths.

I converted one site to 2.2.x and while the structure of the CONFiguration files changed to a modular approach, the structure of the virtual host containers was the same.

You should be able to use the same vhost containers, just copy & paste them into your new vhost include file.

BTW, I never use \ backslashes, I always use / forward slashes.

I tried the "/" and had problems if I remember correctly. I'll give this information a try.

edit: just tried both ways and neither would work when the original code was pasted into the new httpd.conf file. Apache would come up with a popup error and stop loading.
Brian

PostPosted: Tue 14 Nov '06 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the server's error log say?

Reply to topic   Topic: New to 2.2.3, need virtual host help View previous topic :: View next topic