logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2.2 strange temp files
Author
frost_atronach

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov '06 1:03    Post subject: Apache 2.2 strange temp files Reply with quote

Hi all,
lately I'm experiencing a strange behaviour in Apache 2.2 (w/PHP5.2, WinXPsp2) on localhost installation:

during browsing of test sites, files are created in C: using names like

s25s
s25s.1
s25s.2

Mentioned files result locked by Apache, and stopping the server results in their deletion. If opened, the files contain some type of header information on apache version, then some css/js/htm is appended (like, for example, part of monobook css skin of mediawiki).

Moreover, the server works, seeming just to slow opening/refreshing pages.

Can anyone provide an hint on what exactly is producing those files? I've another installation with same OS+Apache+PHP and it's not producing the temporary files....
Crying or Very sad

Thanks
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov '06 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen those file form Apache or PHP. Sure that the files are from Apache and not some other application?
Brian

PostPosted: Wed 15 Nov '06 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using an upload script?

What are the sizes of these files?

I too am not sure in any way what the heck those files are, but you should open a few up in a text editor and see what they contain.
frost_atronach

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov '06 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies guys.

@James Blond
I'm not really sure if it is Apache who's creating those files, but it's really the main suspect...as you can read here below

@Brian:
No upload is involved in here..
Files may vary depending on their contents (up to ~50k).

Here's an extract:

Code:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 09:16:03 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Win32) PHP/5.2.0
Last-Modified: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 00:06:06 GMT
ETag: "985b-3a5-2bcbd780"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 932
Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=98
Connection: Keep-Alive
Content-Type: image/gif

GIF89a

or else, after the header, some js or css code can be found:

Code:

Content-Type: application/x-javascript

// MediaWiki JavaScript support functions

var clientPC = navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase(); // Get client info
var is_gecko = ((clientPC.indexOf('gecko')!=-1) &&

[...]

as already said, this is just a testing machine, so I already tried to reinstall all apache/php (as a module)/mysql framework. I'm now using a really basic httpd.conf, using just php module in addition to the standard ones and some scriptaliased folders. Confused

Finally, the files are produced even when using cgi (Perl and others) so it doesn't seem to be connected to php. A second testing machine with same test sites behaves as usual...that is no sd1ks.4-ish files there

Bye Smile
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 16 Nov '06 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like browser files. Can you reach the server from a different PC? Delete all temp files and connect from the other PC and watch if that files will be created again.
I can not reproduce that. Strange!
frost_atronach

PostPosted: Sun 26 Nov '06 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on this matter after a while, I can just say that issue doesn't seem to be deterministic: sometime files are created (you can figure it out from the browser because pages are just partially served), sometime not.

For one or two days, the issue seemed to disappear after an XP's automatic update. Just seemed. Embarassed

Actually I can reach and browse sites on the server from other PCs in the lan but the result doesn't change.

Neither I can reproduce the thing elsewhere, James, so I think I'm just going to burn to the ground the hard disk Mad and start again from scratch...maybe it is just a damn worm in the system Rolling Eyes ...Thanks for your reply anyway Smile

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2.2 strange temp files View previous topic :: View next topic