logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Reverse Proxy - Low Download Transfer Rate
Author
Eulers

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov '06 2:26    Post subject: Reverse Proxy - Low Download Transfer Rate Reply with quote

Hi,

I set up Apache 2.0.54 as a reverse proxy on one server serving a website located on a different server. I can access the website via IP (thus not going through the proxy) or via DNS (using the reverse proxy).

When I download a large file (10-100 MB) I get a transfer rate of ~800 KB/second using the IP, but only ~350 KB/second using the reverse proxy. Given that the route is the same, except for the proxy, I assume that Apache is slowing the download down.

How could this be? I searched the web but couldn't find any hints as to what it might be.

Thanks for any help on this.
tdonovan

PostPosted: Wed 29 Nov '06 7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your reverse-proxy Apache system simultaneously reading responses from your website and forwarding these responses all through a single network interface card?

If so, this alone would effectively cut your speed in half. You are moving twice as much data through the same device.

- or do you have two NICs on your proxy machine?
If you do have two NICs (one serving clients - the other to the website machine)
then I think you should expect pretty close to the same ~800 KB/second, all other things being equal.
Proxying requests shouldn't introduce much overhead.

-tom-
Eulers

PostPosted: Thu 30 Nov '06 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It turns out that the decrease in transfer rate was caused by a faulty network switch. It seems that it wasn't an Apache issue.

Reply to topic   Topic: Reverse Proxy - Low Download Transfer Rate View previous topic :: View next topic