logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache Permissions and stuff :S
Author
LennardF

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan '07 10:52    Post subject: Apache Permissions and stuff :S Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm getting quite used to Apache and I prefer it above IIS (since more modules work on Apache). Anyway, I still have some problems with understanding the permissions within Apache.

On Linux, when Apache is installed, a user will get hes own directory which is protected, which won't be accessable by other users then him (Owner).

How can this be done in Windows? I noticed that when I uploaded an PHPBased FTP browser, I easely could delete ANY FOLDER I WANTED on the whoel system, as long as I knew the path (Well, C:\ is mostly like one).

I want to prevent this, and what I understand is that this can be done with permissions (since the above trick wont work on a Linux machine, with all Groups and Users etc.).

And what happens if a Internet User gets into the folder, will it then get logged in as a guest with limited rights? And when you login with FTP, you'll get logged in as the owner of the directory?! I don't understand this part and would love to have it explained. I wont need a solution for now, I just want to know how it works.

Best Regards,
Lennard Fonteijn

Ps. At the end, my Webserver has to be like a real Webhost, where I can add a User with FTP and that no-one, except him, can edit the directory he owns (this is what real hosts do right? :S).
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan '07 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lennard,
I don't know if there is a real FTP server running in the backround. If yes, you set there where users can access and where not. So it is not possible to goto C:\
If your PHP bases FTP browser uses PHP to browse the folders, you can set open_basedir in .htaccess or httpd.conf to control that.

If you have different user you can setup different ftp users with different root dirs.

Which FTP server do you use?
LennardF

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan '07 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

None yet, I'm still combining stuff (I guess im going to modify SlimFTPd to do a gracefull restart).

Anyway, what about all the permissions, groups and users then?

SlimFTPd is probably best, since you can tell it wheter a dir is accessable for the user or not.

But FTP has nothing to do with User permissions? Like on Linux, as far as i understand, gets an own virtual account on machine to manage hes domains/directory.
LennardF

PostPosted: Thu 25 Jan '07 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump! Someone, please explain...

As in IIS, you can add users, and users have permissions... But what do this permissions? Like on Linux... When you add a user to say Plesk, Plesk will create a Linux account, with permissions...

But what do these permissions do? Do they help when you access the directories in FTP, or through PHP?

Lennard

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache Permissions and stuff :S View previous topic :: View next topic