logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: System hangs with apache
Author
Regn

PostPosted: Sat 03 Feb '07 20:47    Post subject: System hangs with apache Reply with quote

Hello
I have a problem, but it is not exactly with apache itself... I hope it is alright if I still ask here.

My homepage on apache2 works if I look at it with http://localhost, but if I use my dynamic dns address the computer hangs completely. This also only happens when I use wireless and not wired connection. So from what I understand the problem must have something to do with the dynamic dns address and wireless but I dont understand what. If someone has an idea I would be happy to hear, please.

Thanks in advance and I hope my english is understandable.
Brian

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb '07 8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like to me you have an issue with your network. I suspect that it has something to do with a firewall maybe, or perhaps you have something mis-configured.

As for the wireless, I cannot imagine why you would want to place a web server on a wireless connection, that would seem to me to defy logic.

If you are able to connect via local host, that is good, your server is at a minimum able to be reached. If you have a dynamic IP that is okay, you can still count on your IP not changing all that often, I recall having an IP for weeks when I had cable with a dynamic IP a few years back.

Try programming the current IP into your A records at what ever place hosts your DNS, then see if you can reach your server that way. If you are already there an it is hanging on the DNS update, then go back to the first paragraph.

Since no one here knows what software you use for your DNS update it may be helpful to explain what you use and sort of basically how it is set up (i.e is it behind a firewall? does it use port 80 for the updates? does your dns host have any special requirements for updating dns? and so on...).

The more information you provide the better the support here "can" be.

But again, I stress that if you can get to your server when your DNS host has your current WAN IP, then you are only having a problem with the DNS update, I am not clear if this is the case or not.
Regn

PostPosted: Sun 04 Feb '07 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer.
First, I wanted a webserver on the computer I use, my notebook with wireless connection. My homepage is on another server, but it has become too big, that server only has 10mb. I am pretty sure that this has something to do with the router, ddns and wireless, because before I moved my homepage to that other server I only had my own, but at that time I had no router.

For my dynamic ip I have tried dyndns, no-ip and dtdns. I have tried to disable the firewall, but there is no difference. I have opened up port 80, before I did that I could not access the page with localhost. I have also tried configure wan ddns for dyndns and dtdns in the router and it says update ok. I can see my homepage with the dynamic dns address, the page loads but after a second or so, the computer completely freezes.

I am sorry, but I cannot explain very well, I do not understand this and how an internet connection can freeze a system completely. I guess I have to try with the ip address instead. But then I have a very stupid question: is it secure if other see my ip address, because I will have to use the ip address in links to link to my server?

Thanks again.

Edit: I just tried to view my page on my server with the wan ip and the system freezes Sad So maybe it is something with the router and not the ddns address after all... but I am bad at this, do not understand at all.

Edit: In the router configuration virtual server, where I opened port 80, I had to enter a number in the end of private ip adddress. It is now 192.168.2.2. When I use "2" there the system freezes. If I have something else than 2 I can no longer access my web page.

I must have configured something wrong somewhere, but I do not understand where. I have tried to find someting on the internet but nothing helps.

Reply to topic   Topic: System hangs with apache View previous topic :: View next topic