logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: apache2.2 w/mod_ssl won't start, no error
Author
Litch

PostPosted: Mon 07 May '07 20:48    Post subject: apache2.2 w/mod_ssl won't start, no error Reply with quote

I can't seem to get apache running with mod_ssl.

Running on 2k3e (fully updated), if I comment out the loadmodule and include apache starts up fine, if I uncomment them I just get the generic "Request operation has failed"

The system event log says "The Apache2 service terminated with service-specific error 1 (0x1)." Nothing in application events or in the /logs files.

If I start with: httpd -n apache2 -k start -e debug

I get the normal startup:
[Mon May 07 13:37:21 2007] [debug] mod_so.c(246): loaded module ssl_module

in C:\WINDOWS\system32 I have:
libssl32.dll 0.9.8.5
libeay32.dll 0.9.8.5

What I am I missing, I suspect I set up something wrong in the httpd-ssl.conf
tdonovan

PostPosted: Mon 07 May '07 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your SSL library names and version are puzzling. The current version of OpenSSL is "0.9.8e".

The two library names are libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll (not libssl32.dll).
These two libraries normally go in the Apache \bin directory - not in System32.

Do I understand correctly that Apache starts up and runs OK with mod_ssl when you start it from the command window (as a Windows user)
- it only fails when you try to start it as a Windows service?

Are you running Apache 2.2.4? Did you get it from Apache Lounge, or from apache.org?

-tom-
Litch

PostPosted: Mon 07 May '07 23:16    Post subject: password on the keyfile Reply with quote

I had gotten it from apache.org, so I uninstalled and went to the apachelounge version

got the same behavior also, it would seem to start up fine from the console, but when I looked on the Apache service monitor (or the services control panal) it was not running.

However with the apache lounge version I was able to get one important clue
"[Mon May 07 15:52:54 2007] [error] Init: SSLPassPhraseDialog builtin is not supported on Win32 (key file C:/apache2/conf/server.key)"

I had not removed my passphrase from my keyfile because of all the dire warnings, but apparently it won't start if there is one
tdonovan

PostPosted: Tue 08 May '07 2:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - it's generally better to not use a passphrase on Windows.

Don't let anyone steal your server.key file Wink

-tom-

Reply to topic   Topic: apache2.2 w/mod_ssl won't start, no error View previous topic :: View next topic