logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Very slow donwload! help please!!!
Author
sr_smith

PostPosted: Tue 15 May '07 2:52    Post subject: Very slow donwload! help please!!! Reply with quote

I just set up Apache 2.2.4 on Windows 2003 Standard with sp2. After doing some download speed tests, it appears that Apache is serving downloads very slowly. I can download to my remote computer (which is connected to internet via cable modem 2000/512 kb.) at about 60KB/s. The Apache box has a T1 connection to the internet.

In addition, sitting right next to the Apache box is a Win2003 Server machine running IIS. Doing the same exact test, I can download at 175KB/s from that machine. So basically, that rules out any WAN related issues. A 12MB file takes 5:13 to download from the Apache box but only 1:19 from the IIS box...quite a difference.

Any ideas why this would be?
I don't find solutions? what can be?
tdonovan

PostPosted: Tue 15 May '07 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

With speeds so low, the actual bottleneck is likely a network config problem rather than Apache.

I suggest you try these tests:
    1. Run the Apache Bench program (ab.exe) on the Apache server itself to test Apache's speed with no network connection.
    If a download file is named test.zip, a typical ab.exe command would be:
    Code:
    C:\Apache2\bin> ab.exe -n 12 -c 3 -k http://localhost/test.zip
    This means perform 12 downloads of test.zip, 3 at a time with keepalive.
    Look for the Transfer rate result. Without a network connection this is typically orders of magnitude higher Kbytes/sec than you observe.
    If so, Apache itself isn't the problem - it is probably a network problem.

2. Try downloading on the IIS server from the Apache server and vice versa.
    This will show the local-area network speed. If this is high, suspect a LAN-to-WAN network connection problem.

3. User Regedit.exe to check that the Windows TCP/IP parameters are not set differently on the IIS machine vs. the Apache machine.
    Most TCP/IP settings are under the Windows Registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters.

Hope this helps.

-tom-

Reply to topic   Topic: Very slow donwload! help please!!! View previous topic :: View next topic