logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Other Software View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: MySQL SSL Windows
Author
MLxS

PostPosted: Mon 14 May '07 17:20    Post subject: MySQL SSL Windows Reply with quote

Right, this is a really simple question! I fear the answer (if anyone knows) won't be.

I would really like MySQL to require an SSL connection on some accounts. Basically so I can have a remote administration account that can't be watched (easily!). I have read the manual and now I understand less than I did before.

Does anyone know how to get MySQL to require a client to use SSL? When I check for its presence in MySQL it is disabled.

Windows 2000, Apache 2.2.4, MySQL 5.0.37 PHP 5.2.1

Please do help!

Chrs, Alan
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 16 May '07 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first you have to start the server with SSL support.
MLxS

PostPosted: Sat 19 May '07 9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

Thank you for the info. I was aware of that need. I'm also aware I need to create the three certificates - although I don't really know how to go about that. (Apache related, I guess).

Once I have set up the server by creating certs and starting with SSL support, and changed the grant status to require SSL, do I have to distribute anything to the client, and does the client need any special software (I.e. is SSH a requirement for this type of connection?). I'm really confused.

Hope you (or anyone else, for that matter!) can help.

Many thanks,

Alan
tdonovan

PostPosted: Sat 19 May '07 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

The instructions for setting up certificates for MySQL 5.0 are at MySQL Reference Manual - 5.8.7. Using Secure Connections.

See the section 5.8.7.4. Setting Up SSL Certificates for MySQL for the exact details.

Are you sure you need an SSL connection between Apache and MySQL?
If Apache and MySQL are on the same machine this wouldn't make much sense.

Using SSL between the user and Apache (i.e. using regular Apache SSL) certainly makes sense for a remote administrator.

Maybe you mean you want an SSL connection directly to MySQL, and Apache is not involved?
If this is the case, you might get better answers on a MySQL forum than an Apache forum.

-tom-
MLxS

PostPosted: Sat 19 May '07 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that.

I was aware of the documentation, but I did not find it very easy to follow.

I am indeed trying to connect from a client directly to MySQL using SSL - I know this is an apache area, but I find people here very helpful - hence the post being in 'other software'.

I will give the MySQL forum another go and see if I get anywhere!

Thanks for your time.

Alan

Reply to topic   Topic: MySQL SSL Windows View previous topic :: View next topic