logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache memory usage after large uploads
Author
daibach

PostPosted: Wed 30 May '07 11:35    Post subject: Apache memory usage after large uploads Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got a setup with Apache 2.2.4 (from this site) running PHP via FastCGI and everything is working fantastically. The only issue I've encountered is when a large file is uploaded (around 300-400MB so far) Apache appeared to swallow up over 1.4Gb of memory (ram + swap) but didn't release it after the upload had finished.

The PHP process handling the request didn't suffer any similar issues.

Does anyone know how to get around this issue or some suggested configurations that might help recover the memory back without affecting the service.

Thanks
James Blond

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun '07 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does PHP handle the Upload or Apache it self?
daibach

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun '07 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's a PHP script that processes the upload, but PHP is running via FastCGI. Which makes me think Apache is having the problem.

I'm actually running an application called Moodle and uploading a giant zipped course onto it via it's own admin. From the code it looks like PHP is handling the uploaded file, but it's still going through apache first.

Any ideas?
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun '07 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heavy memory usage is caused by the uploads! I think ftp would be a better solution. Of cause PHP can handle that, but that way all incoming data goes through the memory.
daibach

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul '07 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I guessed that the heavy memory usage was caused by the uploads. I do have an alternative method of getting the files up on the server, but eventually I'll need to open up uploads to more people who I can't give access to ftp or my alternative.

Does anyone have any other ideas, is it possible to have apache handle it's uploads differently (like streaming to disk) so it doesn't eat memory?

I don't mind apache using loads of memory, just as long as it gives it back.

Here's a rrd graph of the apache processes memory usage, as you can see the usage jumped after the file upload and then never drops until I restarted the apache service.

James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul '07 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that 60 MB in memory is large. But depending on your PHP programing you could use PHP wth fast cgi (fcgi). So the process will unload it self after handling that upload.
daibach

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul '07 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, your right 60MB isn't large. Unfortunately I didn't have a graph of the other upload of a 400MB which ate 1GB of memory on it's own. Obviously, after a couple of uploads around that size, there isn't going to be much memory left to play with.

I am running PHP with FastCGI and the PHP memory usage appears fine, the processes do unload themselves every so often and free up their memory. Unfortunately it's the httpd.exe process that's being memory hungry.
James Blond

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jul '07 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I missed that from the first post that you already use fastcgi for php.
While or before or after uploading is there anything that apache has to handle?
The first thing you can do to reduce memory usage remove /comment out all
unneeded modules from apache.
Maybe Steffen knows a bit more! I'll askin him soon.
daibach

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jul '07 10:22    Post subject: Further research Reply with quote

Thanks James,

I did a bit a research and thought I'd post what I found in case anyone else runs into a similar problem and it may help them a little.

I created a bare-bones upload.php file to handle an upload and nothing else, just to eliminate Moodle out of the equation. This still suffered the problem so I removed all possible modules and this still didn't help.

I've since downloaded and installed the Apache.org version to compare and that too had the issue. Then finally I downloaded the latest PHP installer and installed it as a module instead of FastCGI. Surprisingly this didn't eat loads of memory, in fact it barely got over 20Mb (Ram + Swap) total.

So I think my problem lies with either something in mod_fcgid or Apache to do with handling the upload and passing it to the fast cgi process. Unfortunately for me I can't switch to using PHP as a module as I had other problems with stability before switching to FastCGI.

I'll try playing with the various mod_fcgid settings to see if anything works, but other than that I think I'll just give up for now and hope that no one needs to upload large files too often.

Thanks for your help and time though Smile
tdonovan

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jul '07 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

FastCGI (mod_fcgid) does indeed buffer the entire request in memory before sending it along to the php-cgi process.

Looking at the mod_fcgid source code, it does this in a way which can use up to twice the filesize on uploads.

This memory is never released to the OS, but it is (mostly) re-used for subsequent uploads.

This gets very uncomfortable when there are simultaneous uploads because the requests each need large amounts of memory at the same time.

A compromise might be to use mod_fcgid.so for most pages, but use php5apache2_2.dll for the upload page(s).

You could configure the whole directory (the webroot or the moodle directory) to use mod_fcgid,
then use inner <Directory> and <Files> containers to make the upload pages use PHP as a module.
For example:
Code:
LoadModule fcgid_module modules/mod_fcgid.so
LoadModule php5_module "C:/PHP/php5apache2_2.dll"
<Directory "C:/Apache2/htdocs">
    AddHandler fcgid-script .php
    Options +execCGI
    FCGIWrapper "C:/PHP/php-cgi.exe" .php
</Directory>

<Directory "C:/Apache2/htdocs/moodle/admin"
    <Files uploaduser.php>
        SetHandler php5-script
     </Files>
</Directory>
You would need a separate <Files> container, and maybe a <Directory> container, for every moodle page which processes large upload requests.

-tom-
Steffen

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jul '07 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted the author of mod_fcgid. Hopefully he comments on this.

Steffen
daibach

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul '07 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

@tdonovan

Thanks for taking a look, I wouldn't have known what was what looking at the source code for the module. Does explain what's going on though as I am seeing the memory usage jump by an amount almost double than that of the filesize.

Not a bad idea to work around the issue either with the switch between the php module and fastcgi versions just for the upload page. Certainly a good option to take if I haven't a choice and do have to open up the uploads more.

@Steffen

Cheers for contacting the author, I was thinking of asking them next but didn't want to myself without some more knowledge of what was happening.
Steffen

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul '07 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the author Ryan:
Quote:

Hi,
I have fixed it.
Now mod_fcgid will swap the http request to disk if it's longer than 64k Smile
And I added two configurations:
MaxRequestLen( default 1G byte, return internal server error if http request longer than it)
MaxRequestInMem( default 64k, store the request to tmp file if request longer than it)
The code has commited to cvs tree, and I attach it in this mail for your test.
Enjoy it. Smile)

Thanks
There are some issues in the source code.
As soon I have a working version, I come back here.

Steffen
daibach

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul '07 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds promising, thanks Steffen.

I'll be ready to test it out when you get a version together. Very Happy
Steffen

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul '07 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please test the new version 2.2.test, I am running it now at the ApacheLounge.

www.apachelounge.com/download/ the file mod_fcgid-2.2-w32.zip

Now mod_fcgid will swap the http request to disk if it's longer than 64k, two directives added:
MaxRequestLen( default 1G byte, return internal server error if http request longer than it)
MaxRequestInMem( default 64k, store the request to tmp file if request longer than it)

Other changes:
Support configuration "PassHeader"
Support apr_shm_remove() in httpd.2.0.X
Support configuration "TimeScore"

Dteffen

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache memory usage after large uploads View previous topic :: View next topic