logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Building & Member Downloads View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: source from builds
Author
bholub

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov '07 20:50    Post subject: source from builds Reply with quote

I want to use (or at least test) the builds provided by this site, but I work for a company with tight restrictions on 3rd party code. Is there any way to get the source used to compile the binaries provided here? I know it says they are unchanged ASF source, but is there any way to prove that?

I appreciate any input, thank you very much!

--
Brian
tdonovan

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov '07 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apache 2.2.6 is an exception - it has a patch for the mod_perl and mod_fcgid problems in 2.2.6.
Yes, other versions are built from the unchanged Apache Win32 source code.

re: "is there any way to prove that?"

I cannot think of any way to prove it, except to:
    * Download the Apache Win32 source code from http://httpd.apache.org

* Apply any patches mentioned on the download page

* Build OpenSSL, Zlib, and Apache (Release build) using Visual Studio 2005 SP1

* Compare the results of this build with the Apache Lounge binaries.
Just copying the Apache source code to the Apache Lounge Download page wouldn't really prove anything - so I don't think that would help.

-tom-
Steffen

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov '07 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

I understand the restrictions.

It is hard to prove if the source/binary is not manipulated. Even the official downloads from ASF does not give you a guarantee.

The binary is build with the original source from ASF, which you can be downloaded. But now the big question: did I change the source? The answer is no, but I cannot prove it. The only way is that you go to sit next to me when I build Apache.

I think it is a question of trust, even when you use for example software from Microsoft.

Steffen

Note:
ASF is also, like me, including e.g. openssl en zlib in the binary. There is no guarantee that this sources are the original, they cannot prove it.
bholub

PostPosted: Fri 16 Nov '07 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic, thank you guys both so much for your speedy responses. I appreciate it very much!

Reply to topic   Topic: source from builds View previous topic :: View next topic