logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2.0.59, Windows 2003:: DocumentRoot on Network Share
Author
chad

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr '07 22:46    Post subject: Apache 2.0.59, Windows 2003:: DocumentRoot on Network Share Reply with quote

We have a new setup for our servers:

Windows 2003 Server
Apache 2.0.59 w/ mod_ssl
PHP 4.4.6
MySQL 4.1.21
Xoops 2.0.13.2

Or goal is to have the DocumentRoot for each named virtual host be on a network share in our NT4 domain. Each virtual site is essentially running an instance of Xoops. by the way, Apache is running as a domain user with access to the network location and the DocumentRoot is specified as \\fileserver2\webroots\root1

For many of the requests for our main page Apache is recording it send 25302 bytes. The problem we are experiencing is some requests are only displaying as half pages in the web browser and Apache says it is sending 17000 bytes.

We see the following errors in our error.log (in no particular order):
- [notice] Parent: child process exited with status 3221225477 -- Restarting. (When it "crashes" this error appears over and over...)

- [warn] (OS 64)The specified network name is no longer available. : winnt_accept: Asynchronous AcceptEx failed.

- [error] (20014)Error string not specified yet: proxy: request failed

I'm asking if anyone can point me in the direction of what to look for to track down the error(s)!

How can/should we test the new site in a development environment to simulate a heavy load (100,000 - 250,000 requests a day) on the site where the full page is pulled from the server?

Thanks for any guidance!

Chad
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr '07 9:21    Post subject: Re: Apache 2.0.59, Windows 2003:: DocumentRoot on Network S Reply with quote

chad wrote:

Or goal is to have the DocumentRoot for each named virtual host be on a network share in our NT4 domain. Each virtual site is essentially running an instance of Xoops. by the way, Apache is running as a domain user with access to the network location and the DocumentRoot is specified as \\fileserver2\webroots\root1

For that you need a DNS server

See the docs http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/en/vhosts/name-based.html

or

you the forum search. There are a lot of topics about that.

Quote:

For many of the requests for our main page Apache is recording it send 25302 bytes. The problem we are experiencing is some requests are only displaying as half pages in the web browser and Apache says it is sending 17000 bytes.

Quote:

We see the following errors in our error.log (in no particular order):
- [notice] Parent: child process exited with status 3221225477 -- Restarting. (When it "crashes" this error appears over and over...)

- [warn] (OS 64)The specified network name is no longer available. : winnt_accept: Asynchronous AcceptEx failed.

add Win32DisableAcceptEx to your httpd.conf

But that wonders me a lot. Windows 2003 server can use the newer protocol. I'm using Apache 2.2.4 without problems on 2003 standart edition.

Quote:

How can/should we test the new site in a development environment to simulate a heavy load (100,000 - 250,000 requests a day) on the site where the full page is pulled from the server?

You could use ab.exe in apache\bin folder.

I think you should upgrade to Apache 2.2.4
chad

PostPosted: Fri 06 Apr '07 16:47    Post subject: Re: Apache 2.0.59, Windows 2003:: DocumentRoot on Network Sh Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!!

I must admit I left out a few details and I apologize, it was not on purpose. I've posted several messages on several message boards and I'm loosing sleep!

Additional Setup is IIS6 on the box with Apache proxy to the ASP and ASP.NET applications.

Quote:
I think you should upgrade to Apache 2.2.4

We tried that first in our development environment. All of the proxies we set up showed the code of the ASP files. We tinkered with the settings following the Apache docs as close as we could with no luck, so we downgraded.

After some searching I found this thread:
http://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?p=452

It sounds like we should have the following in the Apache Config.
Win32DisableAcceptEx on
EnableSendfile off
EnableMMAP off

Those are now set in my httpd.conf.

As for testing, currently, I am the only one using the server and AB returns the information following. Which I must admit I do not fully understand exactly what AB returns. Can you point me to any AB docs somewhere (not just a command line reference)?

The command we issue is:
ab -n10 -c2 http://www.testbox24.internal.com/

Code:
Server Software:        Apache/2.0.59
Server Hostname:        www.testbox24.internal.com
Server Port:            80

Document Path:          /
Document Length:        24828 bytes

Concurrency Level:      2
Time taken for tests:   2.921875 seconds
Complete requests:      10
Failed requests:        7
   (Connect: 0, Length: 7, Exceptions: 0)
Write errors:           0
Total transferred:      251956 bytes
HTML transferred:       248236 bytes
Requests per second:    3.42 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request:       584.375 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       292.188 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          84.19 [Kbytes/sec] received

Nothing in the error.log, nothing in the Microsoft Event Logs, all successful request for the expected amount of bytes in the access.log.

Any further suggestions??

THANKS!
Chad

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache 2.0.59, Windows 2003:: DocumentRoot on Network Share View previous topic :: View next topic