logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Building & Member Downloads View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Windows builds of PHP
Author
Jan-E

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jul '20 1:39    Post subject: Windows builds of PHP Reply with quote

See https://externals.io/message/110907 for an announcement that took me by surprise:

Quote:
We are committed to maintaining development and building of PHP on Windows for 7.2, 7.3 and 7.4 as long as they are officially supported. We are not, however, going to be supporting PHP for Windows in any capacity for version 8.0 and beyond.

Microsoft seems to be stopping with PHP building on windows.php.net, starting with PHP 8.
Steffen

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jul '20 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to ask you before. I can make for you a separate forum.
Jan-E

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jul '20 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer, but I decline. It is better to leave it like it is now. I really do not want to be sued because someone thinks my builds have any official status.

BTW: I suppose you are following my frontal attack on Microsoft's decision in php internals. It seems to be stirring up the discussion.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jul '20 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand.

Yep, I follow
James Blond

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jul '20 20:47    Post subject: Re: Windows builds of PHP Reply with quote

Jan-E wrote:
See https://externals.io/message/110907 for an announcement that took me by surprise:

Quote:
We are committed to maintaining development and building of PHP on Windows for 7.2, 7.3 and 7.4 as long as they are officially supported. We are not, however, going to be supporting PHP for Windows in any capacity for version 8.0 and beyond.

Microsoft seems to be stopping with PHP building on windows.php.net, starting with PHP 8.

It is only that Microsoft will stop their paid employees to work for free on PHP. That is what they have done in the past.
Jan-E

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jul '20 21:01    Post subject: Re: Windows builds of PHP Reply with quote

James Blond wrote:
Jan-E wrote:

Quote:

It is only that Microsoft will stop their paid employees to work for free on PHP. That is what they have done in the past.

Yes, they did. And to their own benefit. The contributions of especially Anatol Belski (weltling) are unparalelled.

A lot of companies make it possible for employees to work full-time on Open Source projects. I suppose even Microsoft is still doing that in a lot of OSS projects.

In the past there have been clashes between Zend and MS over the direction PHP development had to take. That balance will be gone now.
puertoblack2003

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jul '20 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, from what I'm understanding ms will stop 8.0 builds moving forward.any security issues that arise, who will maintain it? will PHP do the fixes or developers like jane-E will?
Jan-E

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jul '20 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PHP developers will have to fix security issues. let us hope that the interest in Windows fixes will not fade away.

The PHP project has to find another way to build the binaries. See the reaction of Sara Golemon, release manager of PHP 8 on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PHP/comments/ho9dgq/microsoft_not_going_to_officially_support_php_8/fxgk1sc/

Reply to topic   Topic: Windows builds of PHP View previous topic :: View next topic