logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> News & Hangout View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Drop VS16 and VS17 Win32
Author
Steffen

PostPosted: Tue 09 May '23 15:49    Post subject: Drop VS16 and VS17 Win32 Reply with quote

Update: On 24 July You can now download VS17 Win32 again

On 31 May we dropped the VS16 builds and moved the last VS16 to the Additonal download page.

Did not realized that are quite some (professionally)users are missing Win32 now.
See below for a plan to make Win32 available for VS17.

https://www.openssl.org/blog/blog/2023/03/28/1.1.1-EOL/

It is advised to upgrade to VS17, all VS16 binaries and modules are compatible with VS17.

Note on PHP: Only PHP 8.2 and 8.1 (build with 3.0.x) is running as module.
It is strongly advised to run e.g. PHP with mod_fcgid.

VS17 is now only Win64.
VS16 Win32 is hardly downloaded.

Do you need still a VS17 Win32 ?

Please comment.

Last edited by Steffen on Mon 24 Jul '23 17:05; edited 19 times in total
Otomatic

PostPosted: Tue 09 May '23 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Good decision !

I have just, for Wampserver, stopped the 32bit support and there will be no more Apache, PHP, MySQL and MariaDB addons in 32bit.

Sincerely.
Steffen

PostPosted: Mon 15 May '23 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current today VS16 is the last.

No response to the question if you need still a VS17 Win32 ?
jolo

PostPosted: Mon 15 May '23 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the Win32 package.

I'm self-hosting a hobbyist website on a Win10 32bit computer. I know that 32bit Windows is fading out and I understand that most Apache users moved to 64bit long time ago but I would like to continue running the machine as long as Win10 32bit is supported by Microsoft.

I suppose that there are other, non-professional users like me who are doing the same. Low downloads don't mean that no one is using it.

Jürgen
tangent

PostPosted: Mon 15 May '23 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the reasoning as to why Steffen wishes to drop 32-bit builds, but equally can appreciate there are users out there who wish to host the latest Apache release on 32-bit platforms.

If it's any help as a hobbyist, going forward, you can always build your own set of 32-bit Apache binaries using the following site HowTo:- https://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=8609.

This HowTo is still being updated to track package updates.
jolo

PostPosted: Tue 16 May '23 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the howto. Looks challenging... Don't know if I'm able to get it work.

Even Win32 is dying, Apache (more precise: this Win32 build for it) is the first application I'm using that stops supporting it. Even the newest PHP 8.2 still publishs binaries for. Truely this will change (for good reason) when Microsofts support ends in 2025, but I think until then it's worth to keep things running.

Just my two cent, I'm not the maintainer, of course.
uvo

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jun '23 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are using a 32-bit Apache Server professionally for all our (national and international) clients. Unfortunately I can't change this to 64-bit, as our modules have been developed in 32-bit Delphi. Migrating this to 64-bit Delphi is not an option in our current hardware and software architecture, otherwise I would have done it years ago.

Of course I could dive into building the whole stack myself, but I assume that for you it's much easier to build a 32-bit version.

I understand that 64-bit should be the way to go in the future, but for now I can't do that and at the same time I would like to have a safe web server.
micvonhaden

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jun '23 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I'm late to this. I just found out today about the latest Apache upgrade.

We are also using 32-bit Apache Server professionally for several servers. Moving to 64-bit would require re-installs of Zend on these servers. Something we'd rather not do at this time. Having a 32-bit version would be wonderful!
tmabell

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jun '23 15:00    Post subject: I also use 32-bit windows and need updates Reply with quote

I am also using your x86 build of Apache 2.4x and am unable to transition to 64-bit due to other software limitations on the machine being used as my web server. It has been stated that 32-bit architecture is going away and that may be true for some uses but not for all. Please consider re-instating 32-bit support, if not with every update then perhaps twice per year or so on a schedule. Thank you for all you do!
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jun '23 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

We understand the need for 32 bit.

Maybe I have to consider re-instating 32 bit. But time is money.

Also there is need for OpenSSL versions e.g. 1.1.1, 3.0.8, 3.1.1
Steffen

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul '23 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now the following plan.

Build VS17 Win32 with OpenSSL 3.x.x. and standard modules.

!! You can only get it on request.

Other modules (like mod_fcgid), use the VS16 Win32 ones at https://www.apachelounge.com/download/VS16/

What do you think ?
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul '23 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letting go of 32-bit in the long term is a good idea.
tangent

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul '23 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with James.

However your plan to only provide on request would focus people's minds to migrate as soon as they can.

I suspect many of those wanting updated 32 bit builds are stuck with legacy modules or services that can't be upgraded, in which case we could recommend using a supported 64 bit instance as a reverse proxy to the legacy configuration.

That should solve potential security concerns.
jolo

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul '23 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steffen wrote:
Build VS17 Win32 with OpenSSL 3.x.x. and standard modules.

!! You can only get it on request.

What do you think ?

I'm very pleased about this plan and would like to test it as soon as it's available.

Jürgen
tmabell

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul '23 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Blond wrote:

Not a good idea for those of us who have no option of upgrading to a version of Windows 64-bit. We need to keep this simple. No reverse proxy, just whatever can be done with 32-bit and leave it alone. We understand the security risks and if we choose to accept them and end up in trouble, well that's just on us.

Steffen, your solution is the best of all worlds. Thank you so very much!
James Blond

PostPosted: Sat 08 Jul '23 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmabell wrote:
James Blond wrote:

Not a good idea for those of us who have no option of upgrading to a version of Windows 64-bit. We need to keep this simple. No reverse proxy, just whatever can be done with 32-bit and leave it alone. We understand the security risks and if we choose to accept them and end up in trouble, well that's just on us.

Steffen, your solution is the best of all worlds. Thank you so very much!

I see your point. And "in the long term" I don't mean that those downloads are gone by next year. But somewhen you have to move forward to a new Windows OS and new Hardware with 64 bit capability. I wonder how long you want to run a no longer supported Windows. It is up to you to do so. I just see it from the building point. There is a lot of work in providing builds.

If it was only me I would go for Visual Studio 6. The binaries were larger, but you didn't need to install the "Redistributable package". Also the debugging was nicer in my eyes.

Over the time I pushed people to publish their build scripts and knowledge in the this forum so it doesn't get lost and everybody can build apache. I remember the time Apache 2.2 ended and 2.3/2.4 come up. There was only a handful of people who could do the jop and all those nice windows build files weren't in the source code.
tmabell

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jul '23 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your thoughts and I don't disagree. I have software that won't run on any of the newer OS's and unfortunately many are out of development so I'm stuck. I'd like to hang on for as long as I can before having to find other ways to do what I'm doing as that would be a heavy burdon.
Steffen

PostPosted: Mon 24 Jul '23 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can now download VS17 Win32 at https://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=9087
tmabell

PostPosted: Wed 26 Jul '23 14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

We cannot thank you enough!

Steffen wrote:
You can now download VS17 Win32 at https://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=9087
uvo

PostPosted: Mon 21 Aug '23 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, we cannot thank you enough!

I would like to comment the discussion on Win32. Some people in this thread argue that Win32 should be phased out because Win32 Windows will be phased out. The Win32 subsystem in Win64 Windows however will not be phased out. Many applications under Win64 Windows are still Win32 applications and will stay like that, simply because there is no urgency to get rid of it (like in our case).

Just wanted to mention it or am I missing something here?

Reply to topic   Topic: Drop VS16 and VS17 Win32 View previous topic :: View next topic